New Member and a lack of laser cutting classes

Zach Marcantel

Mar 26, 2015, 4:43:19 PM3/26/15
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I recently joined the club and would like to use some more advanced tools on a project I'm currently working on.

However, there doesn't seem to be a laser cutting class for another couple of weeks.
I will certainly be taking said class, but I would like to keep rolling with the momentum I've built up on the project.

It's possible I overlooked it, but I did not see any rule(s) against someone who has taken the class running the machine on my behalf.
Is this correct?
Is there someone dedicated to this?
Is payment allowed (I would voluntarily do so) for their time?

I seem to have copied only the isometric view DXF onto my dropbox rather than the top-down (doh!) but I can post those tonight ~7pm -- or another (3d) format if you want to put work in.

Essentially it's a ~323mm x ~98mm rectangle with ~75 squares (along a grid) cut out of it -- much like a laptop keyboard for a more visual reference.

Thanks for any responses (even if it's "get lost") and look forward to seeing you guys around the shop.

Thanks,
Zach

Robert Ristroph

Mar 26, 2015, 5:58:57 PM3/26/15
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
I am giving another new member who is in a similar situation a class
tonight at 10pm. If you can make it I can teach you as well.

There is no rule against someone who has taken the class running the
machine on your behalf -- that is actually pretty common. The laser
is a "no un-attended operation" tool however, due to the possibility
of your material flaming up and damaging the optics, so the person
does have to be there, they can't just hand it off and walk away.

If you can't make it tonight for a class then Friday night or on the
weekend I could help you.

Welcome to the space !

--Rob
> --

http://rgr.freeshell.org/

Zach Marcantel

Mar 26, 2015, 6:48:49 PM3/26/15
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
That's the best news I've heard all day! I'll certainly be there.

Thanks for the quick response (and offering the class).