Brilliantly simple CNC tool changer by Frank Herrmann ( XATC )

Martin Bogomolni

Jun 21, 2016, 12:47:25 PM6/21/16
to atxhs-discuss
Frank Herrmann invented the XATC ... the "eXtremely simple Automated
Tool Changer"

Here's the HackADay project link:

https://hackaday.io/project/12308-xatc-extreme-simple-automatic-tool-changer

Here's his YouTube video showing the invention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQgfjYIQCZs

dan...@austin.rr.com

Jun 21, 2016, 5:41:15 PM6/21/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Well that's pretty awesome!

What I'm not sure about is the amount of torque being used on the nut. Normally that torque is applied between the shaft lock wrench and the collet wrench. Here, you've got the shaft locked at the spindle and trying to move the spindle around to get the collet to close. Some collet situations require more torque than others. I can already see the rig flexing, the shaft lock starts turning, although that specific one is an easily solvable problem in itself.

The other thing is that tooling isn't fixed inside ER collets. There is some spring force holding the shank in, but it's not rigidly fixed in place.

I'm thinking how to try this out.

Danny

Martin Bogomolni

Jun 21, 2016, 5:47:20 PM6/21/16
to atxhs-discuss
It's all open source, and I think it's brilliantly executed. I
ordered a set of those "universal" wrench sets on Amazon this morning,
and I'll be trying to make one for the Carvey. I love how he spins
the motor slowly to "catch" the lock wrench as it comes in. I'm sure
there's a better way, but it's a great "no brainer" way of pulling off
that trick.

-M