Access to plastic sheet thermoformer (same as vacuum former).

Rex

Jan 15, 2016, 12:53:51 PM1/15/16
to ATXHS Discuss
Does ATXHS have a thermoformer?  If not, does anyone know of access to one in Austin area where I can bring in my own molds for a 10 piece run?  Will need ~24" x 24" platen area but can go a bit smaller if needed.  Will probably form 0.060" ABS sheet, or similar for some prototyping.

Thanks!
Rex

Ardie Scott Powell

Jan 15, 2016, 3:30:56 PM1/15/16
to ATXHS Discuss
If only!  I'd love to be able to make a good well-fitting keyboard protector for my non-standard keyboard (this one, but with the Num-pad placed on the left side)

Matt Lawrence

Jan 15, 2016, 4:31:19 PM1/15/16
to atxhs-discuss
There is on at TechShop and I am checked out on its use.

-- Matt

Elizabeth Greene

Jan 15, 2016, 5:36:15 PM1/15/16
to Ardie Scott Powell, ATXHS Discuss

If you are inclined, they aren't terribly difficult to make.  I made a small one (8x8) to draw a new nosecone for my Son’s RC plane.

Use pegboard* for the work surface, mdf for the base, scrap 2x4 ripped down for the rest. Make internal supports to keep the work surface from collapsing, but keep the dead volume small, especially if you are using a shop vac to pull it.  Leave a path in the supports for airflow, and think about where you'll connect the shop vac hose. (mine was on the bottom.)  Glue and screw, Silicone caulk seals the gaps, duct tape the gaps you miss with the caulk.  Weather stripping around the perimeter helps pull the seal.

Mount the plastic in a wood frame sized to match your weatherstripping. The plastic heats in a kitchen oven.  Take the racks out and jury-rig a stand for it.  The plastic sags significantly when its hot enough.

*I used doubled cardboard for the top of mine.  This was a mistake.  It failed/folded on the third use.  Pegboard should be better.  Mdf is probably overkill, and you’ll get a repetitive motion injury drilling all those holes.

I’ll be in the shop a couple of nights next week if you want to try making one.

Greene

Ardie Scott Powell

Jan 16, 2016, 1:45:05 AM1/16/16
to ATXHS Discuss
HMMM.  what are the chances I could accompany you to TS & get u to help me make a couple of keyboard covers?  and what would be involved?

sarole

Jan 17, 2016, 1:24:15 AM1/17/16
to ATXHS Discuss
IIRC Colin made one some time back. I saw it at the space when I was there last.

Jeffrey Cicolani

Jan 17, 2016, 12:45:18 PM1/17/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure Rex is talking about the vacuum former. Which, by the way, is not a difficult build. A little lumber, hardware, and shopvac is most of it.

The part most folks have a problem with is the heating. Most of the successful versions I've seen use a heating element in a box suspended over the vacuum table. When the plastic is heated it will sag away from the heat then you just drop it down to the table and turn on the vacuum. Ideally it would use a vacuum pump and tank rather than a shopvac, but a shopvac will do the job.

This is something out shop is sorely lacking and, if I had more time, I'd gladly build it and host. But, TRG, Chupacabracon, and the Nomad project is ample for now.

Jeffrey Cicolani
Vice President
The Robot Group

See my most recent geekiness at www.cicolanistudios.com

"Power to the people powerful enough to crush the other people" Joss Whedon
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." Joss Whedon

On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 12:24 AM, sarole <sar...@gmail.com> wrote:
IIRC Colin made one some time back. I saw it at the space when I was there last.

Sundeep Arole

Jan 17, 2016, 8:00:34 PM1/17/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

I checked it out today and the thermoformer Colin built is still there at the space. There is no heating box, one will need to be made. Will a heat gun do the job? I think the former is about 30" x 30".

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "ATXHS Discuss" group.

Jeffrey Cicolani

Jan 18, 2016, 12:25:36 AM1/18/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
A heat gun won't generally get the consistent heating you need for this. We need some old coil type heaters.

Jeffrey Cicolani
Vice President
The Robot Group

See my most recent geekiness at www.cicolanistudios.com

"Power to the people powerful enough to crush the other people" Joss Whedon
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." Joss Whedon

Ardie Scott Powell

Jan 22, 2016, 4:58:45 PM1/22/16
to ATXHS Discuss

Riley

Jan 22, 2016, 5:18:50 PM1/22/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Or an electric kiln / space heater.

Already have both types on hand in the "spare kiln parts" box.

I ordered an extra kiln thermocouple just in case, it could work in a thermoformer oven.

Now we just need the oven box/case/whatchamacallit...

-
Riley

This email was sent from my KLü Tablet