CommComm: Keeping You Informed (Issue 6)

Clio Dunn

Mar 24, 2015, 1:14:10 AM3/24/15
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com, atxhs-...@googlegroups.com, atxhs-a...@googlegroups.com
February and March saw you members and volunteers so active that we could have had two Keeping You Informed issues. This is cram-packed, so stay around for the pictures. I could only take them when the crowd flow slowed down, not when we were totally packed. So that should tell you how busy we were. In reverse-chronological order for events:

SX Create was March 13-15. This was a huge success for us as a community. We got seven new members (hi guys!) at last Tuesday's Open House after the weekend, and clearly more to come from the interest shown at SX Create. Hackaday came by Tuesday night to interview members at the Hackerspace about their projects.

There were seven ATXHS member projects at our SX Create booth, representing the kind of fun, quality demos and products our members produce. Congratulations to these members (alphabetically by first name) on the solid gold compliments they got from SX Create attendees and other booth holders: Amanda Ray, Andrea Rust, Andrew Darling (daringrandd.com), Antonio Rodriguez (prettysmarthomes.com), Brad Knox, Erik Olson (laserbees.net), Joe Brown (podcreations.com), Jon Imeson (perpdesign.com), Milton Villeda (miltone.net).

Deep thanks to all ATXHS hosts and solderers in the ATXHS booth at SX Create as well: Alex Velez, Charles Odom, Danny Miller, David Mitchell, Gardner Williams, Joe Brown (double duty), Joe Ngo, Kelly Burghart, Kevin Mossey, Paul Bonser, Sundeep Arole and Weston Norton.

KOOP radio Austin Artists show on March 2nd brought two of our ATXHS member artists in to be interviewed on this special for SX Create artists: Joe Brown and Milton Villeda. They did an outstanding job. Both the host and the SX Create liaison praised them for saving the show when they made a quick replacement for two artist who couldn't make it. I'm being sent the mp3 and will be posting it soon.

Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day at UT at Austin's School of Engineering on February 27 (http://www.engr.utexas.edu/wep/k12/girlday) - Andrew Darling gave a recurring demo in his classroom to a huge number of girls from a range of ages. His demo was Mindflex which allows people to levitate a ball with a fan, controlling the speed of the fan with a simple EEG headset. Andy can always pull something out of his hat, even on short notice. This guy seriously innovates. The fellow engineers from UT were enthusiast about the crowd's response. From the thank-you email from the Program Coordinator at UT:

The room was so popular and packed so it was actually hard for us to get in there to get many pictures! Which is a great problem [to have]!

We do have photos from UT showing some of his young attendees working the Mindflex.

Pix to show it happened:
See attached photos (scaled for fast rendering, larger pixel counts available).

Coming Up:

InfoSec Southwest (http://2015.infosecsouthwest.com/agenda.html) - April 10-12 here in Austin! ATXHS representers to be announced. Still negotiating for more badges for this booth. If your specialized interests include information security and you want to represent ATXHS, please let me know.

Austin Mini Maker Faire (http://austinmakerfaire.com) - the well-beloved event is on May 16-17 this year and we'll be there! Members, let me know about your projects and demonstrations!

----
Clio Dunn

Communications Committee Chair
PR/Marketing
ATX Hackerspace
9701 Dessau Rd, Suite 304, Austin, TX 78754
Joe_Ngo_as_frontman_20150313_153003_1200x675.jpg
crowds_coming_in_booth_20150314_133647_1200x675.jpg
Joe_Brown_Antonio_Rodriguez_crop_20150314_132938_1000x1058.jpg
Introduce a Girl to Engineering-59-scaled.jpg