OT: Anyone got a dehumidifier I can borrow?

Luke Keyes

Feb 25, 2018, 12:04:53 PM2/25/18
to ATXHS Discuss
Hi y'all, I know this is off-topic when it comes to the Hackerspace, but in the spirit of being excellent, and sharing as a community, I have a favor to ask.

Does anyone have a dehumidifier I can borrow for a week or so?  A 70-pint or so would be ideal, but smaller ones will still work, especially if I can borrow smaller ones from multiple people.

Backstory - I was a dummy and decided to shampoo the carpet in my guest room on Tuesday when it was rainy.  Well, the lack of humidity differential kept the carpets from fully drying, and they started to smell musty.  Before the 48 hour window after which you'll have serious mold issues, I rented an industrial dehumidifier from Home Depot, and got the humidity levels from above 50% down to 30%.  The room started to smell significantly fresher.  However, the humidity levels have steadily climbed in the room, and now they are at 63%.  You want to keep your humidity levels below 50% to inhibit mold growth, and even lower during the "winter".

And yes, I've tried the following things.

Damprid - ineffective
AC the house - effective when it is 70+ outside, but then the main house gets too cool (central AC)
Space heater - seemed to make things worse at it created a "rainforest effect".

Getting desperate here, and don't want to pay the $65/day for the Home Depot one, after a few days of that I probably should buy my own (which are ridiculously expensive for how simple they are).

Thanks,
Luke

Bion Pohl

Feb 26, 2018, 9:20:18 PM2/26/18
to ATXHS Discuss
I have a standup room unit that I'm not using.  I can lend it as long as it is needed.  Give me a call and I can bring it to the Hackerspace tomorrow mid-morning for you to pick up. 512-297-5643   -Bion

Bion Pohl

Feb 27, 2018, 12:18:45 PM2/27/18
to ATXHS Discuss
I brought the dehumidifier to the Space and left it under the incoming mail table with a printout of this thread taped to it. If it is still there tomorrow night I’ll take it home. -B

Luke Keyes

Feb 27, 2018, 2:35:28 PM2/27/18
to ATXHS Discuss
Thanks Bion, I'll come by and pick it up tonight after work.  I meant to call but didn't see this until late last night and got wrapped up in meetings at work.