Red laser focus trouble -- WATCH THE AIR PRESSURE PEOPLE

flip

Dec 6, 2016, 7:19:55 PM12/6/16
to ATXHS Discuss
So I came in today and started a cut and about a minute in to the cut I noticed that although the air pressure switch was on, the air gauge was reading zero. The knob on top of the regulator was loose and air was bleeding out of it. I don't know how long that was happening earlier in the day, but the laser doesn't seem to be cutting as well as it should -- settings that used to work fine for MDF don't make it all the way through and the kerf is unusually wide.

flip

Danny Miller

Dec 6, 2016, 7:53:44 PM12/6/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

RED TAG THAT RIGHT NOW

Changes in cutting performance pretty much suggests disaster has occurred.

Be in in a minute to check on it.

Danny

On 12/6/2016 6:19 PM, flip wrote:
So I came in today and started a cut and about a minute in to the cut I noticed that although the air pressure switch was on, the air gauge was reading zero. The knob on top of the regulator was loose and air was bleeding out of it. I don't know how long that was happening earlier in the day, but the laser doesn't seem to be cutting as well as it should -- settings that used to work fine for MDF don't make it all the way through and the kerf is unusually wide.

flip

Martin Bogomolni

Dec 6, 2016, 10:42:40 PM12/6/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

Danny,

I've been playing with some air pressure sensors for a project I'm on.  ( http://www.alliedelec.com/honeywell-nscdann100paunv/70375304/ ) They are $20, and support a wide range of voltage.   If the Red Laser doesn't have an air pressure safety interlock ... this could be used in conjunction with ( favorite microcontroller ) to create one and prevent future damage.

-Martin

Danny Miller

Dec 7, 2016, 12:44:36 AM12/7/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

I don't see any problem with it.  Lens is fine, air pressure builds, there is no leak around the reg, and the focus is dead on.

???

Green tag.  Can't find any problem.

Danny

Philip Kromer

Dec 7, 2016, 1:32:46 PM12/7/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Danny,

Sorry for the false alarm (and not sorry to err on paranoia)

Flip

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "ATXHS Discuss" group.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/atxhs-discuss.

Vigilante - Food, Drink, Board and Video Games together at last fl...@vigilantebar.com // cell 512-659-6846 // work (512) 655-9022