Green Hardwood Pieces

Alex shipp

Nov 18, 2016, 2:12:26 PM11/18/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have a source for green (newly cut, not color) hardwood pieces I could use for spoon carving? Less than 3 months seasoned preferred, and I’d like to avoid open grain woods.

Albatross Hotel

Nov 18, 2016, 2:22:25 PM11/18/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

You might try Swift River Pecans in San Marcos. They cut, process, and sell local lumber, they may have some green stuff for you.

www.swiftriverpecans.com

- David

On Nov 18, 2016 1:12 PM, "Alex shipp" <r.alexan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does anyone have a source for green (newly cut, not color) hardwood pieces I could use for spoon carving? Less than 3 months seasoned preferred, and I’d like to avoid open grain woods.

M.H. Collins

Nov 18, 2016, 2:40:25 PM11/18/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Why new wood?  does it not crack when drying if carved?

Thanks

--
I had one toy as a kid and it was a stick with a holey sock tied to it.

Alex shipp

Nov 18, 2016, 2:52:43 PM11/18/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Green wood is just much easier to carve. As long as you carve the spoon to a correct uniform thickness, it shouldn’t crack in the open air seasoning process.

M.H. Collins

Nov 18, 2016, 7:26:24 PM11/18/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Please let me know if you run across mesquite?  I need 2 peices to make a model 1892 winchester stock.