Metal suppliers in south austin

Joe Cline

Nov 11, 2016, 9:32:46 AM11/11/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Hola... I'm in the middle of my first welding class at ACC and was wondering if any of the members has had good experiences with any metal suppliers in South or East austin? Mainly looking for basic metals like mild steel and aluminum. I read in previous threads about some suppliers, but then seemed to be in north austin.

Thanks
joe

dan...@austin.rr.com

Nov 11, 2016, 11:06:11 AM11/11/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com, Joe Cline
There's Westbrook Metals on Airport/Lamar and Metals4U on the southbound access road of I35, north of Wells Branch.

They're actually both owned by the same company, but didn't merge the policies when the second one got bought. They're run a bit differently.

Both are great. I feel like Metals4U has a better policy for buying up cutoffs and scrap. Parking lot is awkward there, though, but I don't have to fight Lamar traffic.

Danny

Joe N

Nov 11, 2016, 11:17:17 AM11/11/16
to ATXHS Discuss

There is south Austin metals.

---- Joe Cline <joec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hola... I'm in the middle of my first welding class at ACC and was
> wondering if any of the members has had good experiences with any metal
> suppliers in South or East austin? Mainly looking for basic metals like
> mild steel and aluminum. I read in previous threads about some suppliers,
> but then seemed to be in north austin.
>
> Thanks
> joe
>
> --
> Joe Cline
> 512.415.9614 cell
> joec...@gmail.com

Mobius Von Andree

Nov 12, 2016, 9:55:27 AM11/12/16
to ATXHS Discuss
The lowest prices on steel in town come from Asero Steel for sheet and most long stock. South Austin Metals is a close second with a few of their prices being better on some long stock. Westbrook is always the most expensive option for mild steel, don't use them. Metals4U can get in material that most others won't, and is probably your best bet on specialty items. Metals Supermarket is more expensive usually, but they're damn nice people and they have a nice drop pile to look through.

Also, understand that you'll get different prices for material from the same people on the same day if you're paying attention. The final prices for material in Austin are left up to the judgement of the salesperson at the time of sale, and I've seen some crazy price discrepancies doing bids around town. Even from the same people! Plus, you'll always spend less per unit if you can afford to buy in bulk.

Joe Cline

Nov 13, 2016, 7:48:11 AM11/13/16
to Mobius Von Andree, ATXHS Discuss
Thanks guys. This is very helpful for me, a new welder who never bough anything more than some flat/angle iron from true value. :) now I just have to get in there. The shops don't seem to be much on email/websites for pricing and perusing.On Nov 12, 2016 8:55 AM, Mobius Von Andree wrote: > > The lowest prices on steel in town come from Asero Steel for sheet and most long stock. South Austin Metals is a close second with a few of their prices being better on some long stock. Westbrook is always the most expensive option for mild steel, don't use them. Metals4U can get in material that most others won't, and is probably your best bet on specialty items. Metals Supermarket is more expensive usually, but they're damn nice people and they have a nice drop pile to look through. > > Also, understand that you'll get different prices for material from the same people on the same day if you're paying attention. The final prices for material in Austin are left up to the judgement of the salesperson at the time of sale, and I've seen some crazy price discrepancies doing bids around town. Even from the same people! Plus, you'll always spend less per unit if you can afford to buy in bulk. > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ATXHS Discuss" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to atxhs-discus...@googlegroups.com. > To post to this group, send email to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com. > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/atxhs-discuss. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Mobius Von Andree

Nov 13, 2016, 9:34:50 AM11/13/16
to ATXHS Discuss
I've never found a metal supplier that does. Probably has to do with the changing price of metal, but could just be the old school world not meshing well with new school. You'll actually have to call them or go in person.