Looking for a custom router bit fabricator

david.78737

May 15, 2018, 2:55:34 PM5/15/18
to ATXHS Discuss
I need a "thumbnail" router bit.  Stock profiles are too big and also use a pilot bearing.  Not what I am looking for.

What I want is a similar profile to the "thumbnail" bit but much more shallow removing about 5/32" material across 1.25" of the stock.  The bit would be about 2.625" diameter with 1/2" dia shank to use in the CNC at the HS.  So I'll need to locate a tool fabricator to make it.

Some in the CNC world might suggest just using a bullnose mill and make multiple passes to arrive at a contour.  But the pieces are irregular and the time to fabricate with a small CNC bit would be excessive and I wouldn't begin to figure out how to draw the V Carve file.  This profile bit would eliminate a considerable amount of machine time and programming time.

If anybody has experience with this I would appreciate a recommendation.

Thanks David Richardson

Antonio Garcia

May 15, 2018, 3:07:02 PM5/15/18
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com, david.78737
Look up Austin tool and Grind

William Haines

May 15, 2018, 3:11:47 PM5/15/18
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Whiteside tool will make custom bits.  And you can put your own profile on a steel rabbeting bit with a grinder, you just have to be careful about it

 As far as the v-carve thing, in case it could help someone else, the moulding toolpaths in 8.5 and up are easy to use, and do exactly what you described.

M.H. Collins

May 15, 2018, 7:33:54 PM5/15/18
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, May 15, 2018, 1:55 PM david.78737 <david...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I had one toy as a kid and it was a stick with a holey sock tied to it.