Gimme some Slack

jta...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2017, 4:16:21 PM8/19/17
to ATXHS Discuss
ATX Hackerspace should seriously consider getting a Slack account at slack.com.  It's like a professional chat service.  Everyone uses it in the software world.  Great for spawning off subtopics to avoid cluttering this group.

jta...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2017, 4:18:50 PM8/19/17
to ATXHS Discuss
Apropro required slack music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAyjRc9qffM

Danny Miller

Aug 19, 2017, 4:41:52 PM8/19/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

We already use Slack!  Like, a lot!

Danny

On 8/19/2017 3:16 PM, jta...@gmail.com wrote:
ATX Hackerspace should seriously consider getting a Slack account at slack.com.  It's like a professional chat service.  Everyone uses it in the software world.  Great for spawning off subtopics to avoid cluttering this group.

Riley Cassel

Aug 19, 2017, 5:26:40 PM8/19/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
UGH, slack is aweful

https://xkcd.com/1782/

-
Riley

jalcantar423

Aug 19, 2017, 9:02:50 PM8/19/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
There's always discord

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

M.H. Collins

Aug 19, 2017, 10:13:19 PM8/19/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
IRC is my choice.

On Aug 19, 2017 8:02 PM, "jalcantar423" <jalcan...@gmail.com> wrote:
There's always discord

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

> ATX Hackerspace should seriously consider getting a Slack account at
> slack.com.  It's like a professional chat service.  Everyone uses it in the
> software world.  Great for spawning off subtopics to avoid cluttering this
> group.
>
> --

guptonbl

Aug 20, 2017, 6:42:22 AM8/20/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
There's already a group on slack, but you can't get the invite. My time using it, though, and if have to agree with riley; slack is awful.

I've always preferred to use IRC for chatting, and there are so many possible ways to extend it. I know that one of the German Hackerspaces uses a modified chat bot to announce when the space is unlocked and open, as well as being able to remotely unlock the space via the chat bot as well. For whatever reason, they don't have normal hours, and only a few people are able to actually unlock the space, but a few more are able to unlock it by telling the chat bot.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to atxhs-discus...@googlegroups.com.

Timur Tabi

Aug 20, 2017, 1:58:33 PM8/20/17
to ATXHS Discuss
On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 3:16:21 PM UTC-5, jta...@gmail.com wrote:
Everyone uses it in the software world.

Uh, no.  I've been in the "software world" for 20 years, and I don't know anyone who uses Slack.

Martin Bogomolni

Aug 20, 2017, 2:03:07 PM8/20/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

Timur,

Opposite land... All the companies and groups I work with are using slack except one.. and +that+ group uses the .mil/.gov internal Atlassian based products.

-M

Albatross Hotel

Aug 20, 2017, 2:18:47 PM8/20/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

This is quite a pointless discussion. Thank you all for sharing what your favorite chat apps are. I will forever treasure this information.

On Aug 19, 2017 3:16 PM, <jta...@gmail.com> wrote:
ATX Hackerspace should seriously consider getting a Slack account at slack.com.  It's like a professional chat service.  Everyone uses it in the software world.  Great for spawning off subtopics to avoid cluttering this group.

Martin Bogomolni

Aug 20, 2017, 2:35:04 PM8/20/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

More to the point then:

Until we have our Slack autoinvite bot working... for an invite email:

bo...@atxhs.org

One of us will get on it... you do need to be a member.

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017, 1:18 PM Albatross Hotel <albatros...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is quite a pointless discussion. Thank you all for sharing what your favorite chat apps are. I will forever treasure this information.

On Aug 19, 2017 3:16 PM, <jta...@gmail.com> wrote:
ATX Hackerspace should seriously consider getting a Slack account at slack.com.  It's like a professional chat service.  Everyone uses it in the software world.  Great for spawning off subtopics to avoid cluttering this group.

James Hughes

Vaaron

Aug 20, 2017, 3:20:16 PM8/20/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
How do I remove myself from this discussion board? The unsubscribe link does not work...thank you

Vaaron...

Martin Bogomolni

Aug 20, 2017, 3:56:24 PM8/20/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

send an email with the subject "unsubscribe" to

atxhs-discus...@googlegroups.com

Vaaron

Aug 20, 2017, 3:58:09 PM8/20/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Link keeps coming back as non existent...

Vaaron...

M.H. Collins

Aug 20, 2017, 7:55:44 PM8/20/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
ya, And I love chat bots. We have some on some channels that people talk to all day and some crazy ones too.
IRC is the shit.  oops sorry.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/atxhs-discuss.

I had one toy as a kid and it was a stick with a holey sock tied to it.

Martin Bogomolni

Aug 20, 2017, 9:18:53 PM8/20/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

Vaaron...

Um, thats not a link.   send an -email- to that address with the subject.

> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/atxhs-discuss.
>

> --

I had one toy as a kid and it was a stick with a holey sock tied to it.

stephen.mercer

Aug 20, 2017, 11:57:09 PM8/20/17
to ATXHS Discuss

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 1:18:47 PM UTC-5, albatrosshotel13 wrote:

This is quite a pointless discussion. Thank you all for sharing what your favorite chat apps are. I will forever treasure this information

Actually, it isn't pointless. If you like anything that benefits from the network effect, it behooves you to recruit others to it or it dies. Like Windows Phone? Tough... you didn't recruit enough people. Really want the world to go with Betamax? You should have campaigned harder. Etc.

In software, more users => more developers => more maintenance. Add on top of that a piece of software that is used for communications? That's definitely something worth talking about.

And, for the record, I like Slack, but I'd rather use Google Groups/Hangouts for most things.

Elizabeth Greene

Aug 21, 2017, 12:03:39 AM8/21/17
to ATXHS Discuss
Slack works really well for another Makerspace where I'm a member.  It gives us a distributed institutional memory.  As an example, someone might join the #planer channel and see that the tool was down for a new cutter head or some such.

My best use case there was documenting the setup of our diy laser cutter.  I didn't want that knowledge to leave with me, so I put it all in the #laser-cutter channel.

It is a much smaller space than ATX, and it's possible the idea doesn't scale.

Jonathan Kerls

Aug 21, 2017, 7:19:06 AM8/21/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
We use it as our main communication channel at work and it's great for that. We also have bots set up to log build reports and test status to Slack.

Yes, it's all stuff you could do via IRC, but Slack makes the administration painless and has uniform mobile apps that work quite well.

Heck, even my Pebble can post to slack.

Vaaron

Oct 9, 2017, 6:00:04 PM10/9/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.... Did.... Still same undeliverable message.....

Vaaron...

Hans L

Oct 9, 2017, 6:39:47 PM10/9/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
There actually is a #austinhackerspace IRC channel already on
freenode, its been pretty much dead for a long time though.
http://atxhs.org/wiki/IRC