Laser and leather

Jim Shepherd

Oct 5, 2017, 2:17:56 AM10/5/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone

I am building a second ergodox. (funny keyboard for those of you who have to be top nerds at work) I had this idea of making the case out of wood, and then cutting and adhearing (or tacking) leather to the top of it. I am not familiar with leather at all. All I know is I need it to be thin but wont wear quickly with heavy use.

Any recommendations on material, settings etc? Or good places to get the material?
--
____________________________
www.MakerModder.com

Robert Ristroph

Oct 5, 2017, 2:46:21 AM10/5/17
to atxhs-discuss
Tandy Leather on I-35 is the best local place for new leather.

However, you should go up in the crafts area, check out the leather
scrap, and try some different pieces with different looks.

For thin stuff, getting damaged mini-skirts and bomber jackets at
Goodwill can be a source. I've heard people go to pick-a-part junk
yards and cut the back off a damaged seat to get re-usable leather
also.

--Rob
> --

http://rgr.freeshell.org/

Albatross Hotel

Oct 5, 2017, 2:53:59 AM10/5/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
There's a nonprofit place in town for crafts supplies and repurposing and recycling clothes and other items for craft items. They usually have a fair amount of fabric and leather scrap pretty cheap.

I can't think of the organization name right off-hand, but I met the lady that runs it at our last MakerFaire and promised to help spread the word. There should be a bunch of their flyers on the desk in the front lobby, and on the bulletin board.

- David