Gentian Violet, bad ideas, and responsible material handling

Jon Kelly

Oct 3, 2016, 6:53:11 PM10/3/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Austin!

Hope everyone is doing well and the weather is nice; the UK is, generally speaking, cold and wet.

So the big question first - does anyone know how to dispose of a 1% gentian violet 99% water solution? responsibly?

To explain, I went head first into a crazy idea for a costume which involves dyeing myself purple. This is a common practice in Canadian engineering schools, I understand how to do it safely for myself. I just need to know how to handle it environment wise after dilution.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Joe N

Oct 3, 2016, 7:03:24 PM10/3/16
to ATXHS Discuss

Hey. Good to see you are doing well! Sorry I'm no help in this department

Martin Bogomolni

Oct 3, 2016, 11:16:02 PM10/3/16
to ATXHS Discuss

Step one -- MSDS :

Step two -- Any local regs on Gentian Violet in the UK/London area?

Nope.  No special disposal procedures are in the Health and Safety regs.

So, basically -- get it into an inert state ( it already is ), dispose of it by absorbing it into a neutral material ( rags, et al ) and then throwing it away.  It's not considered an environmental hazard ... but good GOLLY does it stain everything in sight.

On Oct 3, 2016 5:53 PM, "Jon Kelly" <insi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Austin!

Hope everyone is doing well and the weather is nice; the UK is, generally speaking, cold and wet.

So the big question first - does anyone know how to dispose of a 1% gentian violet 99% water solution? responsibly?

To explain, I went head first into a crazy idea for a costume which involves dyeing myself purple. This is a common practice in Canadian engineering schools, I understand how to do it safely for myself. I just need to know how to handle it environment wise after dilution.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Jon Kelly

Oct 4, 2016, 6:54:35 PM10/4/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks :D I found a few msds but they didn't have anything other than 'dispose of according to regulation'

I'll post pictures when I blue myself... i mean purple. XD