Shopbot post on FB

Joe N

Nov 28, 2016, 11:03:41 AM11/28/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com, ATXHS Discuss

I have permission from the original person to post here.

Hello fellow makers!
I have a somewhat complicated line of questions that I would love some insight answering.
Short story - I have a shopbot alpha and have been running a small business making things for the last two years. A string of family tragedy and related travel and expenses kind of killed my business this year...can't work when I'm not here! It's been a bigger impact than I imagined. I need to stop and look at what I can do here. I really do not want to give up, as there are so many projects on my back burner that  want to make
Backstory - I have only lived in Austin for 2 1/2 years. As I have been busy working away, I haven't done much networking and I really don't know the ins and outs of the making community. I would love some advice.
Shame story - I am not a member of ATX Hackerspace as I have yet to be able to afford the membership. :/
Questions:
- One of the biggest obstacles is paying the overhead for my shop. Under normal circumstances, I can cover expenses. This past year stretched me so I am having a tough time keeping up.
One idea is to team up with someone who also needs access to the shopbot to help mitigate expenses. Is there a forum to find someone who might fit this need?
I have 1,200 sf in south austin with my bot and assorted sanding and finishing tools.
- My shopbot cutting bed is 60" x 120". One thought is to sell my large machine and replace it with a smaller bot. Any ideas on how one would go about selling a shopbot locally for a fair price? Also, looking for a used smaller bot would be a goal.
- If anyone who has been running a small maker themed business would be willing to chat, I would really appreciate it!
Thanks in advance!
Trying to keep my making dream alive!