[[ Education ]] Status update for Week 41

Martin Bogomolni

Oct 8, 2017, 5:14:36 PM10/8/17
to ATXHS Members, ATXHS Discuss
Contact Info

My new hackerspace email is de...@atxhs.org
My phone contact ( for SMS or cell ) is : (954) 701-8349
We have a Slack channel as well - atxhackerspace.slack.com ( channel #classes )

If you would like access to Slack while we're working on an automated system, please email me ( dean@ ) or rob ( ops@ ) and we'll add you to atxhackerspace.slack.com

This Week in the Education Department

Updates :: Newsletter :: Outreach Events :: New Classes

HELLO!
It's been a while since I put out an update ( since week 26 ), and there's a lot going on in the Education department in the fourth quarter.

First off, I'd like to say a huge thank you to all our hackerspace members for keeping the classroom clean, neat, and tidy.  In fact, the whole hackerspace has been getting cleaner and more organized over the last few weeks, and it feels great.

Our first Education in-print newsletter will be going out Mid-November, and will be a quarterly publication.  We will be making and distributing future copies in Jan/Apr/Jul/Oct in the year to come.

The newsletter will contain a short description of the hackerspace, some of the projects our members have been up to ( as well as ads for products made in the hackerspace ), as well as a listing of classes and upcoming events in that quarter's calendar.

Part of the events we will be doing are Education Outreach to the nearby community.  Things like "maker days" where we bring some of our tools and equipment on tour for a weekend to libraries, schools, and places like the Thinkery, Flipside Warehouse, and Pump Project.

Classroom

If you want to schedule a free or material-only charge event or class in the classroom, get in touch with me ( de...@atxhs.org ) and we'll get you on the calendar.  I do need to review and approve the material before scheduling you in.

If you would like to host an event or class for profit, we charge $35/hr for "prime time" usage of the space ( M-F 5pm-9pm, all Sat and Sun ) and $25/hr for all other times.  Again, these classes are subject to approval before being scheduled.

Class Scheduling and Sign-up Software

The direct URL is:

https://atxhs.setmore.com

I have integrated our setmore.com account with Google Calendar.  The integration only updates once every few hours, so for the absolute up-to-date info, make sure to head to the main setmore site.  It will show times when the classroom is booked, as well as a general schedule of classes. The calendar is on the wiki here.

http://atxhs.org/wiki/Class_List

Teaching and Taking Classes

I am now talking with over a dozen new teachers, for a wide range of subjects.  The response from potential teachers has been overwhelmingly positive.

Free classes that are available now:
  • Introduction to Microcontrollers : Arduino ( Noah Glaser )
  • Introduction to Microcontrollers : Arduino and Infrared Motion Sensors ( Noah Glaser )
  • Introduction to Microcontrollers : ARM ( Julia Sarzosa )
Classes and one-on-ones that are available now:
  • Introduction to Laser Cutting ( 60 and 120W ) ( Rob Ristroph )
  • Introduction to 3D Printing on the Replicator ( Brad Selph )
  • Introduction to 3D Printing on Prusa/Marlin based 3D Printers ( Brad Selph )
  • Introduction to CNC and V-Carve for the large format CNC Part 1 & 2 ( Danny Miller )
  • Introduction to Easel and X-Carve : Making Linoleum Stamps ( Martin Bogomolni )
  • Wood shop basic safety ( Rob Ristroph, Martin Bogomolni, Danny Miller ) 1:1
  • Metal shop basic safety ( Joe Ngo ) 1:1
  • Introduction to MIG Welding ( Joe Ngo ) 1:1
Some of the classes that we are still bringing online:
  • Introduction to Woodworking : Basic furniture and cabinetry techniques
  • Introduction to CNC for Tormach ( Brad Selph )
  • CNC basic safety and operation on Tormach ( Kris Ohlinger )
  • CNC basic safety and operation on X-Carve ( Martin Bogomolni ) 1:1
  • Making glycerin soaps, and bath bombs ( Event w/ Feto Soaps )
I am also in discussions with instructors for the following courses by November:
  • Intro to PCB making on the Voltera.io printer
  • Laser printed and etched copper PCBs
  • Designing PCB's with Upverter
  • Introduction to Stick Welding
  • Self defense, basic techniques everyone should know
  • Rational Yoga for Engineers
  • Introduction to Parkour / City Running
  • Introduction to Python
  • Introduction to Erlang
  • Introduction to Node.js
  • Defensive programming, penetration testing, and security
  • Locksports ( how locks work, locksmithing )
I'm also in talks with instructors in many, many more fields and this list will grow longer.

If you have a subject you want to see brought to ATXHS, or you want to teach a subject, please get in contact with me ( de...@atxhs.org )