Drill press issue

Joseph Ngo

Feb 22, 2015, 12:10:38 AM2/22/15
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

I was using the drill press tonight. The chuck and shaft fell out of the machine. I pushed the shaft back to its original  position. Is there a fastener or clip that holds it in place or is it purely  friction?

Danny Miller

Feb 22, 2015, 1:39:04 AM2/22/15
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
It's a Morse taper, set with light impact.  You clean both sides of the taper, retract the chuck jaws, and tap the chuck in from below, usually with a hammer.

Important- ALWAYS FULLY RETRACT THE CHUCK JAWS BEFORE TAPPING IT IN.  Hitting the jaws will destroy them or render them very inaccurate with a single strike.  We like our chucks to work.

It's not a major pounding.  Get clearance underneath and use a wimpy uphand tap.  2-3 "tinks" does it.  Tink-tink-tink done.

Obviously if the chuck's taper gets dirty it needs to be cleaned off before reinsertion.  No grease, just a light machine oil, if anything.  Normally we don't re-oil the thing.

Removal of a Morse taper- often you can tap it on the side with a hammer on alternating sides and it releases.  Otherwise, we get wedges and/or a suspension fork and get ugly.  But side-taps usually work.

It's not unheard of for a Morse taper to fall out of a drill press, but it is unusual.  Nothing specific to worry about.

Danny

On 2/21/2015 11:10 PM, Joseph Ngo wrote:

I was using the drill press tonight. The chuck and shaft fell out of the machine. I pushed the shaft back to its original  position. Is there a fastener or clip that holds it in place or is it purely  friction?

Joseph Ngo

Feb 22, 2015, 9:01:30 AM2/22/15
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

Cool. Thanks for the info

SteveBaker

Feb 22, 2015, 11:46:13 AM2/22/15
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
The chuck fell out of my drill press here at home the other day too.  (Same deal, a morse taper fit)  I keep my drill press out in our mostly unheated workshop, and the weather has been bouncing around from freezing up to 75 degF more or less at random for a couple of weeks now, so I suspect that thermal cycling was what loosened it in my case.

This seems like an odd application for a morse taper though - I thought they are mainly for things like lathes where one frequently needs to change the chuck.   You'd think that it would be a poor choice for something that's basically hanging vertically downwards like in a drill press.

Anyway, to avoid whacking it too hard, I always use a little tack hammer to refit mine.

  -- Steve

Paul Stiverson

Feb 24, 2015, 12:12:25 PM2/24/15
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Mills, in my experience, also use morse tapers. It could be a matter of vestigial design that drill presses use them too.

-paul

Steve Baker

Feb 24, 2015, 12:36:36 PM2/24/15
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps cross-compatibility?

Would one swap these fittings between mill, drill press and lathe in a
practical woodworking shop?

-- Steve
> Google Groups "ATXHS Discuss" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/atxhs-discuss/8wDZJTCin98/unsubscribe.
> atxhs-discus...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/atxhs-discuss.

-- Steve

Tex Collins

Feb 24, 2015, 1:37:10 PM2/24/15
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Mills cannot use a taper fit only because side pressures will loosen them.  Mills may have a taper but it is held in with a screw in the small end or a locking device to hold some ears at the big end of the taper.  That being said, I'm sure there are some taper only fits on some mills but it is not effective and really stupid.  I would call these 'Wanna be' mills.

Basically, I want people to know that when they use binary-only modules,
it's THEIR problem.  I want people to know that in their bones, and I
want it shouted out from the rooftops.  I want people to wake up in a
cold sweat every once in a while if they use binary-only modules.
        -- Linus Torvalds