Invite to IoT Hackathon

Jerry Rutherford

Jan 25, 2016, 10:59:29 AM1/25/16
to Austin Hacker Space New, The Robot Group Mailing List
Forwarding this...

From: Andy Ahonen <an...@bemyapp.com>

Hey Jerry,

We just announced that we’ll be doing a meetup on February 4th. It’ll be a pre-hackathon workshop in preparation for the Intel IoT Roadshow in Austin I told you about. We’ll have an Intel engineer there to introduce the Edison board and to provide resources for the upcoming hackathon.

There will be food and beer there, and developers can meet, pitch ideas, and form teams to get a head start for the Roadshow.

It's called the Intel® Edison™ Meetup. Info is all at this link: http://bit.ly/edisonaustin16

Would you mind sharing this with The Robot Group and ATX Hackerspace? It’ll be really useful to those who are signing up for the Roadshow from there. I would really appreciate it!

Best Regards,
Andy

Luke Keyes

Jan 25, 2016, 11:03:10 AM1/25/16
to Jerry Rutherford, The Robot Group Mailing List, Austin Hacker Space New
I did the last one of these and it was really fun (although a bit harrowing at times because a lot of the tools were in alpha stage).

I highly recommend it.  Just come with an open mind, new ideas, and enthusiasm.

Bill Tyler

Jan 25, 2016, 11:30:30 AM1/25/16
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com, Jerry Rutherford, The Robot Group Mailing List
I did this last year as well, it was very fun (took 3rd place and went into the incubator program).  It’s interesting that they are having a get together ahead of time and allowing teams to form and ideas to be started on.

Anyone want to work on a project?  I have two ideas that I was going to try to work on:

Wearable ibeacon tracker – think kid tracking in large spaces, kiddo wears the wearable, its general location is determined by its proximity to the beacons, it reports to the parent its location.  Then parent can easily find kiddo who strapped themselves in seat and cannot get out (and subsequent meltdown :( ) in Chuck E Cheese.  It could be extended by having an alert button the kiddo can press to call for the parents to come help, and the parents can alert the kids to come back to the table as well.  Useful for anywhere you want to give the kid some space but still be aware of there location.

OR

Edison robot army – an extension of nomad; using the edison and ros to make an army of small bots (I have 5 of these http://www.makeblock.cc/mbot/) and have them work together somehow in a multi-agent scenario.  Maybe distributed mapping or something.

Bill Tyler

Jan 26, 2016, 4:25:59 PM1/26/16
to Joshua Young, The Robot Group Mailing List, atxhs-...@googlegroups.com, Jerry Rutherford
If you’re interested in the tracking project, we could spin that into another hackathon in March http://trackhack.org

I have several beacons and several Edisons with screen, battery and cases already made up like a thick tag that we could use for proof of concept.  So its mostly a software challenge I think.  To write the code for the Edison and a simple mobile app.

From: Joshua Young <joshua....@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 2:19 PM
Cc: "atxhs-...@googlegroups.com" <atxhs-...@googlegroups.com>, Jerry Rutherford <jerryaru...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Robotgroup] [atxhs-discuss] Re: Invite to IoT Hackathon

This looks fun, thanks for the info. I am signed up and hopefully will no longer be sick by the date.

I am up for working in a group.

Some names for the kid tracker:
kid catcher, child stalker, kidPS, youth tooth, and ping tween.

Names for droid swarm:
Skynet.

-Josh

P.S.
Working on the SXSW create bot, just need some more to get a proto to demo. Maybe early Feb.

From: "atxhs-...@googlegroups.com<mailto:atxhs-...@googlegroups.com>" <atxhs-...@googlegroups.com<mailto:atxhs-...@googlegroups.com>> on behalf of Luke Keyes <luk...@gmail.com<mailto:luk...@gmail.com>>
Date: Monday, January 25, 2016 at 10:03 AM
Cc: "atxhs-...@googlegroups.com<mailto:atxhs-...@googlegroups.com>" <atxhs-...@googlegroups.com<mailto:atxhs-...@googlegroups.com>>
Subject: [atxhs-discuss] Re: [Robotgroup] Invite to IoT Hackathon

I did the last one of these and it was really fun (although a bit harrowing at times because a lot of the tools were in alpha stage).

I highly recommend it.  Just come with an open mind, new ideas, and enthusiasm.

Forwarding this...

From: Andy Ahonen <an...@bemyapp.com<mailto:an...@bemyapp.com>>

Hey Jerry,

We just announced that we’ll be doing a meetup on February 4th. It’ll be a
pre-hackathon workshop in preparation for the Intel IoT Roadshow in Austin
I told you about. We’ll have an Intel engineer there to introduce the
Edison board and to provide resources for the upcoming hackathon.

There will be food and beer there, and developers can meet, pitch ideas,
and form teams to get a head start for the Roadshow.

It's called the Intel® Edison™ Meetup. Info is all at this link:
http://bit.ly/edisonaustin16

Would you mind sharing this with The Robot Group and ATX Hackerspace? It’ll
be really useful to those who are signing up for the Roadshow from there. I
would really appreciate it!

Best Regards,
Andy
IMG_0485.JPG