Volunteer Java Programmer : Our Door System

Martin Bogomolni

Dec 1, 2017, 1:16:40 PM12/1/17
to ATXHS Members, ATXHS Discuss
O Awesome Members of the Hackerspace,

Is there one of you with awesome Java-Programing skills for front and back-end programming?

Our open-source door system is written in Java, and there are a few missing features -- plus it's a bit clunky to use.  We don't have an authenticated login system for it, and the interface is very basic.

If there's someone out there that can help:

* Clean up & modernize the interface
* Add user and session logins to the system w/ permissions
* Improve the interface so we can add readers to tools/cabinets as well as doors
* Add an API so our locks can talk to the server via TCP/IP or UDP instead of directly twiddling the MySQL database
* Improve logging, add support for syslog/rsyslog + auditing

BONUS :

* Federate login between hackerspaces + locations between multiple Cerberus-prox systems via a safe/encrypted/authenticated API.

This would be a tremendous help to ATX Hackerspace, but also the hackerspace and makerspace community in general.

Warmly,
Martin Bogomolni
Director of Education, Founder
ATX Hackerspace

Martin Bogomolni

Dec 1, 2017, 1:17:59 PM12/1/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com, ATXHS Discuss

P.S.)

There is a Rails app that provides a Cerberus-Prox frontend:

Luke Keyes

Dec 2, 2017, 10:46:28 AM12/2/17
to ATXHS Discuss
I can take a peak, my Java skills have significantly improved in the past 3 years.

Is there a repo?  How are we issue tracking?

Martin Bogomolni

Dec 2, 2017, 1:52:32 PM12/2/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

We have hundreds of dollars invested in hardware and RFID cards + Keys.  If the system doesn't work with HID Prox/ProxII readers, then this is a non-starter.

Before y'all spiral this out of control, please pay attention to the request I made.  I have a _specific_ project in mind, of limited scope.

We can look at doing replacements later.  For now, I want to concentrate on making incremental improvements to the system we have, and finishing the work that was started.  The goals are:

1) Look at the front-end interface, and clean up the UI to make it easier to administrate cards and ID's.
2) Add HTTPS/SSL and also support for login/passwords to administrate the system.
3) Support the current hardwware ( RPi + Relay shields ) for doors, cabinets, and tools over TCP/IP ( including possibly WiFi on the RPi 3 w/ Encryption )
4) Make sure that all data sent between the server and the locks/doors is encrypted end-to-end.

Martin Bogomolni

Dec 2, 2017, 1:53:25 PM12/2/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
I have found the source code for our implementation of Cerberus-Prox, and I'm looking for the web interface code now.

I don't have the RPI code, but Rob Ristroph knows where it is.

-M

Mark VanAken

Dec 2, 2017, 10:55:31 PM12/2/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
I can take a look, and see how I can help.

James Hughes

Dec 2, 2017, 11:38:47 PM12/2/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
If you need some rails work, I can help out.

- James

Martin Bogomolni

Dec 3, 2017, 2:36:10 PM12/3/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks!  DriverDan ( Dan DeFelippi ) is taking point on coordinating the project.  We're looking for the last used versions of the code, and getting it up on github if possible.