Anyone here interested in casting?

fmurray

Feb 8, 2018, 7:28:31 PM2/8/18
to ATXHS Discuss
I have an interest in setting up the toolchain to go from 3d printed part (eventually larger but keeping it small-ish for now) to fully cast parts. I hear aluminum and bronze are the easy ones to start with. I've started on a little foundry based on these designs (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-The-Mini-Metal-Foundry/), but it's rustic at best.

Is anyone else interested in doing this as well? Would you be willing to help with a better solution? Electric is faster and safer, but would probably require a greater initial investment. Both carbon based and electric need a strict safety protocol.

Thoughts?

Jim Shepherd

Feb 8, 2018, 9:48:11 PM2/8/18
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
I am. I was looking at this sword casting. But he wants 300 for the class. (Bronze) I just need access to a foundary and YouTube.

Chaos

Feb 9, 2018, 12:06:54 PM2/9/18
to ATXHS Discuss
I've been interested in it for a while (and have been rewatching that particular King of Random video several times), but haven't gone much further than saving up cans for smelting & old bakeware for creating pucks.

Elizabeth Greene

Feb 9, 2018, 12:58:39 PM2/9/18
to ATXHS Discuss
@chaos

> saving up cans for smelting & old bakeware for creating pucks

Protip: Make sure your muffin-tin pucks will fit in your crucible. I
have about 30 that I need to bandsaw in half. <headdesk />

Joe N

Feb 9, 2018, 12:59:27 PM2/9/18
to ATXHS Discuss
We have a functioningredients metal bandsaw

Joe N

Feb 9, 2018, 12:59:53 PM2/9/18
to ATXHS Discuss
Stupid autocorrect

d. Forrest Murray

Feb 9, 2018, 9:40:00 PM2/9/18
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like there's enough interest to do a build/test run of a mini foundry. How about Saturday late A.M. as a candidate?

M.H. Collins

Feb 9, 2018, 10:57:18 PM2/9/18
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

lost plastic in sand castings?
I had one toy as a kid and it was a stick with a holey sock tied to it.

Ori Bengal

Feb 9, 2018, 11:22:23 PM2/9/18
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Definitely interested in a foundry.

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 8:39 PM, d. Forrest Murray <fmu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sounds like there's enough interest to do a build/test run of a mini foundry. How about Saturday late A.M. as a candidate?
On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 11:59 AM, Joe N <josep...@gmail.com> wrote:
Stupid autocorrect

On Feb 9, 2018 11:58, "Elizabeth Greene" <elizabeth...@gmail.com> wrote:
@chaos

> saving up cans for smelting & old bakeware for creating pucks

Protip: Make sure your muffin-tin pucks will fit in your crucible.  I
have about 30 that I need to bandsaw in half.  <headdesk />

I had one toy as a kid and it was a stick with a holey sock tied to it.

Riley

Feb 10, 2018, 12:41:00 AM2/10/18
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
We have a little propane one at the space already, unless it got tossed in the recent cleanup. (quart-ish melt volume)

I was doing aluminum casting christmas a couple years ago. That asphault burn out oven is no longer hosted, but I could bring one of my electric ceramics kilns (5 gal melt volume) in if we actually have a group to slap the "oh-no-6-sq-feet-is-too-much-space-for-a-project-i-dont-care-about" naysayers.

-
Riley

This email was sent from my KLü Tablet

"d. Forrest Murray" <fmu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sounds like there's enough interest to do a build/test run of a mini foundry. How about Saturday late A.M. as a candidate?
On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 11:59 AM, Joe N <josep...@gmail.com> wrote:
Stupid autocorrect

On Feb 9, 2018 11:59, "Joe N" <josep...@gmail.com> wrote:
Stupid autocorrect

On Feb 9, 2018 11:59, "Joe N" <josep...@gmail.com> wrote:
We have a functioningredients metal bandsaw
On Feb 9, 2018 11:58, "Elizabeth Greene" <elizabeth...@gmail.com> wrote:
@chaos

> saving up cans for smelting & old bakeware for creating pucks

Protip: Make sure your muffin-tin pucks will fit in your crucible.  I
have about 30 that I need to bandsaw in half.  <headdesk />

Jim Shepherd

Feb 10, 2018, 12:42:31 AM2/10/18
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested in a class. As. Fire.

Martin Bogomolni

Feb 10, 2018, 12:42:38 AM2/10/18
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
== not against the idea ==

I do not want to put a damper on this idea, but you all need to be aware of a couple facts about our lease, and about how we are billed for power.

1) Our lease has clauses against open flames, and furnaces.   This is why we don't do oxy-acet metal cutting or glass blowing in the space.

2) We are billed based on peak KW/hr power usage.   Once we go over about what a heater coil in the AC units uses, we are at a higher billing tier.

Whatever furnace ideas you come up with, make sure to run it by Danny Miller and Rob Ristroph for a sanity check against our power bills, lease agreements and our liability insurance.

Sincerely,
Martin

Jim Shepherd

Feb 10, 2018, 12:45:16 AM2/10/18
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I figured that we couldn't have a fire at a warehouse.

Riley

Feb 10, 2018, 12:51:20 AM2/10/18
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Found it, had migrated into the metal shop. Looks like it's a little bigger than I remembered, it'll hold a gallon cast iron pot no sweat.

-

On Feb 9, 2018, at 11:40 PM, Riley <rc3...@gmail.com> wrote:

We have a little propane one at the space already, unless it got tossed in the recent cleanup. (quart-ish melt volume)

I was doing aluminum casting christmas a couple years ago. That asphault burn out oven is no longer hosted, but I could bring one of my electric ceramics kilns (5 gal melt volume) in if we actually have a group to slap the "oh-no-6-sq-feet-is-too-much-space-for-a-project-i-dont-care-about" naysayers.

-
Riley

This email was sent from my KLü Tablet

"d. Forrest Murray" <fmu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sounds like there's enough interest to do a build/test run of a mini foundry. How about Saturday late A.M. as a candidate?
On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 11:59 AM, Joe N <josep...@gmail.com> wrote:
Stupid autocorrect

On Feb 9, 2018 11:59, "Joe N" <josep...@gmail.com> wrote:
Stupid autocorrect

On Feb 9, 2018 11:59, "Joe N" <josep...@gmail.com> wrote:
We have a functioningredients metal bandsaw
On Feb 9, 2018 11:58, "Elizabeth Greene" <elizabeth...@gmail.com> wrote:
@chaos

> saving up cans for smelting & old bakeware for creating pucks

Protip: Make sure your muffin-tin pucks will fit in your crucible.  I
have about 30 that I need to bandsaw in half.  <headdesk />

IMG_20180209_234427.jpg

Joe N

Feb 10, 2018, 11:27:41 AM2/10/18
to ATXHS Discuss
The burner for the for the brick furnace was cannibalized. It will need a new one set up for propane.

Matt Blackledge

Feb 10, 2018, 1:07:27 PM2/10/18
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

ThVortex

Feb 10, 2018, 5:22:14 PM2/10/18
to ATXHS Discuss
Would an induction furnace pass master under the lease agreement?
Stupid autocorrect

Stupid autocorrect

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/atxhs-discuss.

ThVortex

Feb 10, 2018, 5:22:38 PM2/10/18
to ATXHS Discuss
pass muster rather

Joe N

Feb 10, 2018, 6:57:30 PM2/10/18
to ATXHS Discuss
The electrical usage would put us into another power bracket.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/atxhs-discuss.

Martin Bogomolni

Feb 10, 2018, 8:45:43 PM2/10/18
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

It's still a furnace with hot metal being poured... ultimately it would be up to a discussion between us and the landlord/owners ( HPI et. al. )

We had a discussion 2-3 years ago about this, and one of the ideas that seemed workable was finding a way to take the furnace outside and away from the building.   ( i.e. in the parking lot )   Someone suggested a welded steel platform with wheels, like a trailer, that could be jacked up/down to make it stable and level.

When I would do foundry work to aluminum castings at Hacker Dojo, we set up an area outside inside a "sandbox" that was 8' x 8' with side walls 6" tall.  It was filled with decomposed granite to an inch or so to protect the asphalt from accidental spills ( although any fireproof rock would work -- they do this at Burning Man / Flipside before burning down sculptures ) and then the propane foundry was in the middle.

When we were done for the season, it was easy to scoop up the rock back into bags for storage and the wood for the perimeter frame easily unbolted and could be stored away with eight bolts.

-Martin

Doug Craig

Feb 11, 2018, 1:00:57 PM2/11/18
to ATXHS Discuss
I have a large propane burner (maybe too large) I can bring in if membership/landlord agree.