Help needed: soldering debug header on laptop board

Matt DeVillier

Nov 24, 2017, 3:48:37 PM11/24/17
to ATXHS Discuss
Greetings ATX Hackerspace!  I have a debug header (https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/panasonic-electric-works/AXK750347G/255-3011-1-ND/2364725) I need soldered onto a laptop board.  The board has the pads already (https://i.imgur.com/GVcktc0.jpg), I just don't have the equipment (or skill) to do this properly.  If anyone is able to lend a hand, would be greatly appreciated

TIA,
Matt

Andrew Cottrell

Nov 25, 2017, 1:55:10 PM11/25/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Giving this a bump because Matt is a friend of mine. Anyone with strong soldering skills willing to help him out?

Jim Shepherd

Nov 25, 2017, 3:13:41 PM11/25/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
It already has pads of solder on? So its set up for surface mount soldering? In those cases you put it in a special oven or a good precise hot air gun. Else if that is not what you ment it's just a microscope a soldering iron and a steady hand.

Jim Shepherd

Nov 25, 2017, 3:15:44 PM11/25/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
If I had access to my dad's setup .. but I'm not familiar enough with the hackerspaces tools. Even then those look like pretty small prongs!

Lloyd Ewing

Nov 25, 2017, 5:19:05 PM11/25/17
to ATXHS Discuss
Matt,
This sounds like a very interesting project.  Is this for your job where you are working on proprietary equipment, or is this debug access to the laptop board the kind of thing that an ordinary hacker get into?

I wish I could help you with the soldering.  I would really like to take a class of find instructions on how to do that kind of thing.

Lloyd

Joe N

Nov 25, 2017, 8:51:02 PM11/25/17
to ATXHS Discuss
If you can work your way into the electronics lab at UT. They have a very fine tipped soldering iron with a microscope

James Hughes

Nov 25, 2017, 8:56:12 PM11/25/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
Matt, I could probably help out with this. It's been a while since I've done something that small-pitched, but I've done it before. It's actually not nearly as hard as people think.

Joe N

Nov 25, 2017, 9:02:12 PM11/25/17
to ATXHS Discuss
We have microscope in the electronics lab.

Matt DeVillier

Nov 26, 2017, 2:54:14 PM11/26/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

hi Lloyd,

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 4:19 PM, Lloyd Ewing <l.e...@gmx.com> wrote:
Matt,
This sounds like a very interesting project.  Is this for your job where you are working on proprietary equipment, or is this debug access to the laptop board the kind of thing that an ordinary hacker get into?

moreso the latter.  I'm a developer working on coreboot (https://coreboot.org), an open-source system firmware, which happens to be used on all of Google's ChromeOS devices.  For the past few years, I've worked to migrate support for many ChromeOS devices from Google's own coreboot tree to the main upstream tree, and board I'm working on is being especially problematic.  It's locking up during RAM init, which is done by a closed source binary blob (Intel FSP). I've managed to get ahold of a debug version of the blob, but it only outputs via serial, so I need to add this debug header to the board in order to get access to that output. I have required debug hardware to connect, just need the header (it's removed on production devices)

Matt DeVillier

Nov 26, 2017, 2:55:09 PM11/26/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com

hi James,

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 7:56 PM, James Hughes <ja...@virtualjames.com> wrote:
Matt, I could probably help out with this. It's been a while since I've done something that small-pitched, but I've done it before. It's actually not nearly as hard as people think.

that would be great, I'll email you directly to coordinate -- thanks!

Riley Cassel

Nov 26, 2017, 5:42:32 PM11/26/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure you've heard some of the fuss about insecure jtag over usb
and the ME chips running Minix. Might be worth a look as a debugging
tools ;-)

-
Riley

Matt DeVillier

Nov 26, 2017, 6:30:09 PM11/26/17
to atxhs-...@googlegroups.com
hi Riley,

yes, I've actually been working with Purism and supporting their efforts to disable the Intel ME on their laptops.  Unfortunately the board I'm debugging has neither xDCI nor a minix-based ME, so easiest just interface with the board's EC directly thru the debug header :)

-
Riley