Code Lunch Discussion

Chad Myers

May 21, 2014, 3:51:33 PM5/21/14
to atx-cod...@googlegroups.com
Code Lunch is scheduled for tomorrow. FYI.  But before that, I'd like to spark a discussion.

It seems interest in Code Lunch has waned as of late. I admit I'm part of the problem.

So I'd like to propose some ideas for changes and see what ya'll think:

1.) What if it was once a month instead of every other week? Some folks have reported that it's too frequent to be practical.

2.) What if it was sponsored and some of the food was free? I'm iffy on this. I thought about maybe sponsoring one myself to renew interest in Code Lunch and "reboot" and get people coming again, but I'm not sure about an on-going, repeat sponsored event as it may lose it's community-organized feel.

3.) What if some of the lunches had prepared presentations or a proposed theme to spark discussion?

Do you have any other ideas or things you think might be good?

Sincerely,
Chad

Jason Hooten

May 21, 2014, 8:36:44 PM5/21/14
to atx-cod...@googlegroups.com
I'd vote for once a month.

Free lunch sounds good on paper, I don't see this working going forward. Most free lunches revolve around recruiting anyway.

I think mini presentations or focused topics would be great. Too many times we'd split into sub groups with only one technical conversation between everyone.

Eric Hexter

Apr 29, 2015, 10:16:34 AM4/29/15
to atx-cod...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

Anyone interested in restarting code lunch?  I am personally interested in meeting in the arboretum area. I can come up for some air from my start up after the last two years and would like to see what everyone else has been doing during that time.

Jason Reimer

Apr 29, 2015, 10:19:26 AM4/29/15
to atx-cod...@googlegroups.com

I'm in

Chad Myers

Apr 29, 2015, 10:27:45 AM4/29/15
to atx-cod...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to see it started back up again if there's interest.  My team at Dovetail is all remote now, so I'm working from home (down south), so Arboretum is not good for me. I may pass on this one, but if the band's getting back together I'll make a point to come to some of them, if not all of them.

Exciting!

-Chad

Eric Hexter

Apr 29, 2015, 10:32:07 AM4/29/15
to atx-cod...@googlegroups.com
if others are interested, we could do a central location too, I would meet you half way down 360 or the mopac, once a month.

Brandon Behrens

Apr 29, 2015, 10:35:02 AM4/29/15
to atx-cod...@googlegroups.com
Waterloo on 360 might be nice, at least while the weather is good.  They've got nice outdoor seating and I think could accommodate us.  I'm in.
Brandon Behrens
512.659.7171 (c)

Stephen Balkum

Apr 29, 2015, 10:45:24 AM4/29/15
to atx-cod...@googlegroups.com
I'm in. Just not Mondays.

Stephen
--
Sent from my Windows Phone

Steve Donie

Apr 29, 2015, 10:46:27 AM4/29/15
to atx-cod...@googlegroups.com
Would love to catch up with folks again.

Dru Sellers

Apr 29, 2015, 11:00:43 AM4/29/15
to atx-cod...@googlegroups.com
Would love to meet up. But I would prefer something closer to MoPac and 6th (not there but closer to there) as I'm down on Slaughter and MoPac.

/me waves at chad

-d

Chad Myers

Apr 29, 2015, 11:12:33 AM4/29/15
to atx-cod...@googlegroups.com
wow, we're neighbors, Dru! I didn't know you were down here. We should start up a southie code lunch or something haha

Kevin Miller

Apr 29, 2015, 11:16:07 AM4/29/15
to atx-cod...@googlegroups.com, atx-cod...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I’d too would love see this meet-up fire back up.

It would be great to have something closer to the downtown area. I echo Dru’s location as I work at 6th and Walsh. Waves at Dru. :D

Douglas Loyo

Apr 29, 2015, 11:33:46 AM4/29/15
to atx-cod...@googlegroups.com
I'm in. I can meet almost wherever.
Waterloo on 360 is across the street. so +1

Regards,

Douglas Loyo
Double Line Partners

Jeremy D. Miller

Apr 29, 2015, 1:31:57 PM4/29/15
to atx-cod...@googlegroups.com
I'd be up for it, but I'd prefer the Arboretum area or somewhere more central I suppose.

Eric Anderson

Apr 29, 2015, 2:43:28 PM4/29/15
to atx-cod...@googlegroups.com
I'm in

Sent with fat fingers and an autocorrect with a mind of its own.

Pedro Reys

Apr 29, 2015, 3:35:37 PM4/29/15
to atx-cod...@googlegroups.com
count me in.