Bugs and other problems with turn 1

Enno Rehling

Apr 22, 2013, 1:51:00 AM4/22/13
to atlanti...@googlegroups.com
I know some of you have not had a successful first turn (I did, and I even met a neighbor!).

So far, I have a report of FORM orders not getting processed (still investigating), and one of passwords not being recognized (seems the parser does not always like strings to be surrounded by quotes).
When I started this, I didn't really budget for time spent bug-fixing, but I'll try my best to address any complaints. Please post yours here for the time being.

Enno.

harry

Apr 22, 2013, 2:02:03 AM4/22/13
to atlanti...@googlegroups.com
Not sure whether it's a bug but something strange seems to be going on regarding the coordinates, e.g. one of my units managed to walk from 0,0 to 23,0 in a single turn.

Affected units: 99, 101
Faction: 13

(personally I think the program is as confused by idd and wyr as I am)

Harry

Tom Droeshout

Apr 22, 2013, 2:03:54 AM4/22/13
to atlanti...@googlegroups.com

Spare yourself some headaches and do a rerun. :p

Tom

Enno Rehling

Apr 22, 2013, 2:20:59 AM4/22/13
to atlanti...@googlegroups.com
Harry: As most of you have discovered by now, the world size is 24x23 tiles. There are no negative coordinates, which means that west of x=0 is x=23, and north of y=0 is y=22. So if you gave a MOVE M order, that unit is now in (22,23).

Tom: A rerun makes sense if I know what the problems are, and have solutions for them. So far, three players seem to have had a failed turn: Henning, other Henning, and Arno. If I can sort out their problems by Wednesday, a rerun is likely the solution that causes the least distress - it's early enough in the game that we can crank out a turn in an evening, so nobody should miss Sunday's deadline for this, and turns prepared today will need very little adaptation after a rerun. At least the geography won't change from what you've already seen.

Enno Rehling

Apr 22, 2013, 2:42:41 AM4/22/13
to atlanti...@googlegroups.com
All problems identified and solved. Turn rerun might be as early as tomorrow, if nobody else has anything to report.

Now is your final chance to speak up.

harry

Apr 22, 2013, 3:21:32 AM4/22/13
to atlanti...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification on the coordinates. I thought I had it all figured out but then I noticed the following message:"Rover (97) discovers that (7,10) is ocean." However from what you've explained and from a rather terrible sketch I've made I would have expected that ocean to be at 0/22, no?

Harry

harry

Apr 22, 2013, 3:23:25 AM4/22/13
to atlanti...@googlegroups.com

Anthony Briggs

Apr 22, 2013, 4:20:15 AM4/22/13
to atlanti...@googlegroups.com
I have the same problem:

Unit 123 (123) discovers that (8,9) is ocean.
Unit 128 (128) discovers that (7,10) is ocean.

From what I can tell, these are the units which moved south and west from my starting position (if that helps).

Anthony

Tom Droeshout

Apr 22, 2013, 6:20:52 AM4/22/13
to atlanti...@googlegroups.com

Hhmm. 24X23 hexes. That means 552 hexes. Divided by 18 players is 30 taxable hexes each.

1st ring around your capitol / starting hex : 6 hexes
2Nd ring: 12
3 rd ring : 18
We're already at 36 in total.

This means moving 3 hexes in a line gets you to another players zone of influence. Whoa that's fast.

And I'm not even counting all the oceans provinces, so the land mass will be even smaller.

Time to rethink faction design. ;-)

Tom

Khali Korgstein

Apr 22, 2013, 1:00:48 PM4/22/13
to harry, atlanti...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Well, for information, none of my orders were considered. I'm faction 11.
If I made a terrible mistake, which explains that nothing was considered (which is still a possibility), I would gladly know it so to not repeat it.
Otherwise, I believe that I lost a week on the matter.

Many thanks,

Oliver

Apr 22, 2013, 6:59:42 PM4/22/13
to atlanti...@googlegroups.com
Turn rerun is done. I hope this one's better for everybody.

Henning: The group is set up as a web forum first, email list second. In the web view, there's a checkbox that lets you CC the original author, if people don't uncheck that, it may be the cause of your getting two copies of each. I don't know if email replies do that, but I suspect not. I wonder if I can default it to off, I'll poke around in the management interface some more.

Anthony Briggs

Apr 22, 2013, 8:57:32 PM4/22/13
to Enno Rehling, atlanti...@googlegroups.com
I think Henning is refering to the reply option - currently it's defaulting to the poster of the email, not the list, so you have to hit 'reply all', then delete the poster's email. You can set this through Settings > Email Options on the management screen (see attached image).

Anthony

email_options.png

Enno Rehling

Apr 22, 2013, 10:32:03 PM4/22/13
to atlanti...@googlegroups.com, Enno Rehling
Thanks, I fixed that setting.

$teffen (Sirius)

May 14, 2013, 1:08:54 PM5/14/13
On Monday, 22 April 2013 08:20:59 UTC+2, Enno Rehling wrote:
Harry: As most of you have discovered by now, the world size is 24x23 tiles. There are no negative coordinates, which means that west of x=0 is x=23, and north of y=0 is y=22. So if you gave a MOVE M order, that unit is now in (22,23).

I am startled. The region that used to be at (0,22) in week 3 suddenly appears to be at (0,24) in week 4. Is this proof of the expanding universe theory or just a measurement error?

     $

Enno Rehling

May 14, 2013, 1:10:33 PM5/14/13
to atlanti...@googlegroups.com

That should not be happening. Can you give me more information? Unit number, report extracts, etc?

$teffen (Sirius)

May 14, 2013, 1:24:09 PM5/14/13
to atlanti...@googlegroups.com
Put it on Mantis.

Enno Rehling

May 15, 2013, 1:00:12 PM5/15/13
to atlanti...@googlegroups.com
I found out what the problem was, it was a piece of the old A1 blocky world generator going rogue (makeblock, etc). I removed the call, and resized the world to 18x16 tiles, eliminating a lot of empty ocean squares. This should have no effect on anyone who wasn't already sailing, but it makes all reports before turn 5 have bad coordinates. Good thing there aren't any mapping tools that have to deal with this, yet.