Major Bug

Enno Rehling

Jul 25, 2013, 1:04:15 PM7/25/13
to atlanti...@googlegroups.com
I discovered today that there are five duplicate hexes, which have the same coordinates, but are distinct locations. This became apparent when I discovered a swamp next to a hex where I had previously seen a forest next to another.

I have to make a decision on how to fix this. In three cases, one of the regions is an ocean, and probably empty, so losing that ocean region from the data is not going to be a huge issue. In the other two cases, both hexes are land, and I think merging them into one region that has whatever the most profitable terrain is should be the least destructive fix. It appears that in each case, one of the mirror hexes in uninhabited, so that's a lucky break.

The affected regions are:
Drimnin, Navenby, Crail, Kursk, Luthiir, Jaca, Stoer, and three oceans.

I should also find out how this could have happened. Luckily, I still have backups going all the way to the beginning of the game.

Next week, double-check your maps!

P.S.: This is where a mapping tool that reads the JSON report would probably have found the bug earlier. I still haven't started writing one, but I suspect I will, soon.