PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE INFLUENCE GRAPH

Richard Massicott

Jun 25, 2012, 8:36:35 PM6/25/12
to atl...@googlegroups.com
HAS ANYONE FOUND AN UP TO DATE PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE INFLUENCE GRAPH

Rick Hall

Jun 26, 2012, 10:32:38 AM6/26/12
to atl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,

It was great to meet you last night.

Here is a graph with a lot of programming languages on it:  http://www.jaisharma.info/static/choice/images/projects/lineage.svg

Wikipedia seems to have a good article about different programming languages, that might be of more use to you:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_programming_languages

If you decide you want to learn a bit about how programming is done, a number of programming languages have free resources set up to show you how to get started and learn the language.

The language I recommended to you last night, was Python, which has a reputation as being a good place for beginners, and yet can take you as far as you want to go in programming.  Here is a site to learn it online http://www.learnpython.org/

The programming language our group uses, Clojure has a site where you can run Clojure code in your web browser, and also has a tutorial to get you started.  That is at http://tryclj.com/

Another way you could go is with the Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs.  It is an introductory text, and is considered by many as the best programming textbook ever written.  It is available free at:  http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html

There is also a series of lecture videos for SICP at http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-001-structure-and-interpretation-of-computer-programs-spring-2005/video-lectures/

One other thing I want to mention, generally it is considered bad form to type in all caps. People will complain about you shouting.  This is true of any online community, and any regular user of email.  All caps is used for emphasis.  If you want to type in just one case, choose lowercase.

Rick

Richard Massicott

Jun 26, 2012, 3:45:41 PM6/26/12
to atl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Rick,  Do you know how to print out this big graph? http://www.jaisharma.info/static/choice/images/projects/lineage.svg
Richard

Leif Poorman

Jun 26, 2012, 5:43:26 PM6/26/12
to atl...@googlegroups.com

One nice chart about programming languages that I like is http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~pvr/paradigms.html
It actually classifies programming paradigms, not languages, and it was designed to be printed, so it's very readable.

It was made by P. Van Roy, whose book "Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming" is one of the influences on Clojure; he knows quite a bit about programming.

Bear in mind that most of these programming paradigms are not used by most practicing programmers (maybe that's a reflection on our profession), and the example languages he uses are sometimes obscure.  His book, and SICP, while supposedly for beginners, cover a bit too much ground with not enough hand-holding.

I would suggest browsing some links at http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers
I've heard good things about "How to Think Like a Computer Scientist."  It looks to me like it proceed at a reasonable pace.  After that, you can try a more advanced Python book, or a more mind-expanding book like SICP.