Swarm Coding setup

Rick Hall

Jun 23, 2012, 11:17:14 AM6/23/12
to atl...@googlegroups.com
I have my macbook setup to be a host of a swarm coding session, and i wanted to jot down a couple of notes, in case any one else wants to give it a try.

I don't present this as a definitive guide, but this worked for me:

I found the hosting script at https://github.com/Seajure/seajure but I had to go through a few steps before I was ready to use it.

I added a user called swarm and set the password to swarm.  I had to also click a setting in System Preferences >> Sharing to allow remote login.

I installed tmux.

The script uses emacs package management, so I had to install emacs 24 (I was on 23 before).

I switched to the swarm account by typing sudo -u swarm -i. I grabbed the script by typing wget http://git.io/swarmup.sh   (Different address, but think it is the same script as the seajure page).

I executed the script by typing sh swarmup.sh.

At this point, your computer will tell you it is ready to receive connections.  It is lying.. the script set up the encryption keys you need to use to make the ssh connection.  Also, it tells you what address you are going to want to connect to.  In my case, this was wrong, it said to ssh to swarm@<computer-name>.local.local, in fact it should have been <computer-name>.local

Now you are ready to connect and host.

ssh into the swarm account.  ex:  ssh swarm@<computer.name>.local
run swarmup script.  ex: sh swarmup.sh

Follow the onscreen instructions to create the tmux session.

At this point I wanted to launch emacs.  I had to run emacs with a -nw flag.  If I just typed emacs, emacs started, but I could never switch to it.

To connect to this session from another computer you need the id_swarm key.  If you do not already have a .ssh directory under your ~ directory, you need to add one.

from ~/.ssh download the key.  using wget this would be wget http://git.io/id_swarm

Once you have the key you can connect with ssh swarm@<computer.name>.local

Follow the onscreen instructions to join the tmux session.