If prophecy comes true, was Nostradamus right?

ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com

<ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com>
Jul 28, 2010, 1:38:51 PM7/28/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Hindu lauds Nostradamus for 800 accurate prophecies and claims
Nostradamus prophesied Hindu victory that will end Christianity!
http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/72-7113.aspx

Drafterman

<drafterman@gmail.com>
Jul 28, 2010, 1:42:32 PM7/28/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Prophecies don't exist. So no.

On Jul 28, 1:38 pm, "ranjit_math...@yahoo.com"

Trance Gemini

<trancegemini7@gmail.com>
Jul 28, 2010, 1:42:52 PM7/28/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com

Like Paul the Octopus, at least one of the many, many existing interpretations of Nostradomus is likely to come true.

And if it doesn't someone will match an existing event to what he said and laud him from his amazing ability to prophecy the future.

--
"Anti-theism at it's best means holding religion to the same standard as everything else." --Dev

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 28, 2010, 2:07:55 PM7/28/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
of course prophesies exist ... and, just like scientific theories,
some of them do not materialize ...

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 28, 2010, 2:08:31 PM7/28/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
negativity rules your life doesnt it?

On Jul 28, 1:42 pm, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 1:38 PM, ranjit_math...@yahoo.com <

Drafterman

<drafterman@gmail.com>
Jul 28, 2010, 2:25:45 PM7/28/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Jul 28, 2:07 pm, e_space <espace1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> of course prophesies exist ... and, just like scientific theories,
> some of them do not materialize ...

Then you and I aren't using the word in the same sense.

> On Jul 28, 1:42 pm, Drafterman <drafter...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Prophecies don't exist. So no.
>
> > On Jul 28, 1:38 pm, "ranjit_math...@yahoo.com"
>
> > <ranjit_math...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Hindu lauds Nostradamus for 800 accurate prophecies and claims
> > > Nostradamus prophesied Hindu victory that will end Christianity!http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/72-7113.aspx- Hide quoted text -

Trance Gemini

<trancegemini7@gmail.com>
Jul 28, 2010, 2:40:48 PM7/28/10
On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 2:08 PM, e_space <espac...@gmail.com> wrote:
negativity rules your life doesnt it?

Your post is evidence that negativity rules your life, the life of a self-righteous, hypocritical atheist bashing Troll.

Given that you have offered nothing constructive in the form of an argument and have chosen to snipe and personally attack me instead.

My post is evidence of my opinion on prophecies.

LL

<llpens@aol.com>
Jul 28, 2010, 5:16:19 PM7/28/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Jul 28, 10:38 am, "ranjit_math...@yahoo.com"
<ranjit_math...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hindu lauds Nostradamus for 800 accurate prophecies and claims
> Nostradamus prophesied Hindu victory that will end Christianity!http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/72-7113.aspx

LL: Anybody can make any prophesy that is loosely enough stated look
as if it has come to pass. On the other hand when people point to such
prophesies not coming to pass, the ones who want to accept the
prophecy will say it just hasn't happened yet. Interesting how that
works. It works only for very gullible, especially indoctrinated,
people, however.

"There were so many of these prophecies and they were so vaguely
written that they could be made to apply to nearly anything. For
example, one quatrain predicted prosperity for Henry II, the king of
France. Unfortunately, Henry was killed in a jousting accident a
couple years later.

"No problem--someone discovered the following gem among the 940 or so
other quatrains: "The young lion shall overcome the old/On the field
of battle in single combat;/In a cage of gold he shall pierce his
eyes:/Two knells one, then to die, a cruel death" (sic). It was
pointed out that a sliver from the lance of Henry's opponent had
penetrated the king's golden helmet and pierced his eye and brain.
Furthermore, the king was seven years older than his opponent. Ergo,
Nostradamus had really been on target after all. (After Nostradamus's
death, some editors amended the enigmatic last line to read, "two
wounds [from] one," which fits the circumstances even better.) Fast
shuffles like this do wonders for a guy's reputation.

"True believers have since applied Mike's predictions to nearly every
significant event in the 400 years since his death in 1566. This
effort has been aided, for those not fluent in French, by convenient
mistranslations.

"For example, the People's Almanac gives one verse as follows: "The
captive prince, conquered, to Elba,/He will pass the Gulf of Genoa by
sea to Marseilles,/He is completely conquered by a great effort of
foreign forces,/Though he escapes the fire, the bees yield liquor by
the barrel."

"The mention of Elba makes this otherwise ambiguous quatrain appear to
apply to Napoleon. In fact, however, the original has "aux Itales,"
which is generally translated as "in Italy," not "to Elba." (The more
imaginative, it must be conceded, claim "Itales" derives from
"Aethalia," the classical name for Elba.)

"Similarly, some say the following verse predicts the Great Fire of
London in 1666: "The blood of the just shall be dry in London./Burnt
by the fire of 3 times 20 and 6./The ancient dame shall fall from her
high place,/Of the same sect many shall be killed." The ancient dame
supposedly was the statue of the Virgin on St. Paul's cathedral.
Sounds convincing, but a literal translation of the first two lines is
far more cryptic: "The blood of the just will commit a fault at
London,/Burnt through lightning of twenty three the sixes."

"Yet another verse mentions a certain "Hister," which some claim
refers to Adolph Hitler. In fact, though, Hister is simply the
classical name for the Lower Danube, and Nostradamus uses it as such
in several instances.

"Supposed predictions by Nostradamus of future wars and disasters are
equally implausible. I didn't see the movie you allude to, but other
scenarios I've come across talk about an alliance between the U.S. and
the U.S.S.R. followed by a joint Arab-Chinese invasion of Europe.

"Another quatrain that the sky-is-falling crowd drags out whenever a
comet is sighted goes like this: "A great spherical mountain [i.e., a
meteor] about one mile in diameter/. . . Will roll end over end, then
sink great nations," etc. Once again an overenthusiastic translator
has been at work--the first line is more plausibly rendered as "a
great mountain seven stadia around," and many Nostradamus buffs say it
refers to Vesuvius. In any case, it's not worth worrying about."

— Cecil Adams
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/45/was-nostradamus-really-able-to-predict-the-future

"Most academic sources maintain that the associations made between
world events and Nostradamus's quatrains are largely the result of
misinterpretations or mistranslations (sometimes deliberate) or else
are so tenuous as to render them useless as evidence of any genuine
predictive power. Moreover, none of the sources listed offers any
evidence that anyone has ever interpreted any of Nostradamus's
quatrains specifically enough to allow a clear identification of any
event in advance."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostradamus

************

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 28, 2010, 7:53:20 PM7/28/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
we werent talking about a sense, we were talking about a word ... if
you want to make blanket statements, expect blanket responses ...

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 28, 2010, 7:53:59 PM7/28/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
lol youre a joke at best ;-^)

On Jul 28, 2:40 pm, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:

ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com

<ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com>
Jul 28, 2010, 8:04:13 PM7/28/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Jul 28, 1:42 pm, Drafterman <drafter...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Prophecies don't exist.

Don't they?
http://massmoments.org/moment.cfm?mid=305

Drafterman

<drafterman@gmail.com>
Jul 28, 2010, 8:16:45 PM7/28/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Jul 28, 7:53 pm, e_space <espace1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> we werent talking about a sense, we were talking about a word ... if
> you want to make blanket statements, expect blanket responses ...

I was talking about a word ... in a specific sense. A sense you do not
seem to be using. If you want to talk about it, we need to be on the
same page. History shows you don't particularly care about the meaning
of words, though, but I have an open mind.

> On Jul 28, 2:25 pm, Drafterman <drafter...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 28, 2:07 pm, e_space <espace1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > of course prophesies exist ... and, just like scientific theories,
> > > some of them do not materialize ...
>
> > Then you and I aren't using the word in the same sense.

Trance Gemini

<trancegemini7@gmail.com>
Jul 28, 2010, 8:17:43 PM7/28/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 7:53 PM, e_space <espac...@gmail.com> wrote:
lol  youre a joke at best ;-^)

Projecting again?

--

Drafterman

<drafterman@gmail.com>
Jul 28, 2010, 8:18:26 PM7/28/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Jul 28, 8:04 pm, "ranjit_math...@yahoo.com"
<ranjit_math...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jul 28, 1:42 pm, Drafterman <drafter...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Prophecies don't exist.
>
> Don't they?http://massmoments.org/moment.cfm?mid=305

Nope. As stated, it didn't come true. So it wasn't really a prophecy.

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 29, 2010, 6:40:19 AM7/29/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
what about the ones that have? there are many examples of this ... but
i realize you write all of these off as coincidence ... the word
"premonition" should be stricken from the dictionary in your opinion,
right?

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 29, 2010, 7:26:06 AM7/29/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
actually, just stating my opinion ... ;-^)

On Jul 28, 8:17 pm, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Jul 29, 2010, 7:48:25 AM7/29/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
What are the attributes required of a flesh & blood human being
capable of portending the future? Please tell us the number of
successful predictions or 'prophecies' that have come to fruition,
beyond that of simple statistical guesswork?

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Jul 29, 2010, 7:50:01 AM7/29/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Excellent. I don't begrudge you of your opinion & being the fair
minded chap that you are, you of course won't begrudge me of mine.

Glad we've cleared that up.

Drafterman

<drafterman@gmail.com>
Jul 29, 2010, 8:00:49 AM7/29/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Jul 29, 6:40 am, e_space <espace1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> what about the ones that have?

That have what? This is not a well formed sentence.

> there are many examples of this ... but
> i realize you write all of these off as coincidence ... the word
> "premonition" should be stricken from the dictionary in your opinion,
> right?

Not at all. If it was stricken from the dictionary we could hardly
talk about it in a meaningful way.

> On Jul 28, 8:18 pm, Drafterman <drafter...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 28, 8:04 pm, "ranjit_math...@yahoo.com"
>
> > <ranjit_math...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Don't they?http://massmoments.org/moment.cfm?mid=305
>
> > Nope. As stated, it didn't come true. So it wasn't really a prophecy.

Trance Gemini

<trancegemini7@gmail.com>
Jul 29, 2010, 8:15:51 AM7/29/10
On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 7:26 AM, e_space <espac...@gmail.com> wrote:
actually, just stating my opinion ... ;-^)

Thank you for confirming that you are projecting again.

Steve in Virginia

<chandler2368@hotmail.com>
Jul 29, 2010, 8:48:47 AM7/29/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
The problem with prophecies is their vague and subjectively
interpretive structure. The prophecies of Nostradamus, and others
provide nothing as far as specifics are concerned. For example,
Nostradamus' quatrain predicts:

"Northern wind will cause the siege to be raised,
Over the walls to throw ashes, lime chalk and dust,
Through rain afterwards, which will do them much harm,
Meanest assistance against their frontier."

Does this refer to the Haitian earthquake and the torrential rains
that followed that devastating event? Or perhaps the flooding in the
Mississippi valley? Maybe, it refers to the fires that swept through
portions of Louisiana following hurricane Katrina. Or the aftermath of
the oil rig explosion in the Gulf. A nasty firefight against the
Taliban? Or does he mean the past 48 days of infernally hot weather
we've had in Virginia that has beaten the crap out of my pumpkins,
tomatoes and basil? Not to mention the subsequent thunderstorms that
have provided a sorely needed tonic for the lackluster weeds and
crabgrass that have struggled to regain their foothold during the heat
wave.

Therein lies the problem. For a prediction to be useful it requires
specific data prior to the event, not a generalized observation that
is interpreted in favor of the prophecy after that fact.

Steve

On Jul 29, 6:40 am, e_space <espace1...@gmail.com> wrote:

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 29, 2010, 10:28:05 AM7/29/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
do your own research bud ... on a personal note, i have had many
explicit premonitions ... but quantifying or describing them to you
isnt high on my list of important things to do ...

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 29, 2010, 10:31:47 AM7/29/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
sorry if you didnt get the gist of my comment, and because you found
it so hard to understand, lets just forget about it ... okay?

how can we have a meaningful discussion about something you are
convinced doesnt exist? your opinion that premonitions are simply
coincidental is not fodder for anything meaningful ... wouldnt you
agree?

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 29, 2010, 10:32:10 AM7/29/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
ummm ... sure ... glad to be of assistance ;-^)

On Jul 29, 8:15 am, Trance Gemini <trancegemi...@gmail.com> wrote:

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 29, 2010, 10:33:13 AM7/29/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
are you saying that you have never had a premonition that
materialized?

On Jul 29, 8:48 am, Steve in Virginia <chandler2...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Drafterman

<drafterman@gmail.com>
Jul 29, 2010, 10:56:13 AM7/29/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Jul 29, 10:31 am, e_space <espace1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> sorry if you didnt get the gist of my comment, and because you found
> it so hard to understand, lets just forget about it ... okay?
>
> how can we have a meaningful discussion about something you are
> convinced doesnt exist?

By stating the points on either side of the discussion and reasoning
through to the most appropriate conclusion. But that would require us
to start by using the word in the same sense. I don't know how you're
using it, though.

> your opinion that premonitions are simply
> coincidental is not fodder for anything meaningful ... wouldnt you
> agree?

Nope.

> On Jul 29, 8:00 am, Drafterman <drafter...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 29, 6:40 am, e_space <espace1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > what about the ones that have?
>
> > That have what? This is not a well formed sentence.
>
> > > there are many examples of this ... but
> > > i realize you write all of these off as coincidence ... the word
> > > "premonition" should be stricken from the dictionary in your opinion,
> > > right?
>
> > Not at all. If it was stricken from the dictionary we could hardly
> > talk about it in a meaningful way.

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 29, 2010, 11:23:40 AM7/29/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
ah well ... so be it ;-^)

Drafterman

<drafterman@gmail.com>
Jul 29, 2010, 11:32:55 AM7/29/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Hey, I enjoy having a meaningful discussion. But you never seem to be
interested.

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 29, 2010, 4:53:39 PM7/29/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
which thread are you referring to?

Drafterman

<drafterman@gmail.com>
Jul 29, 2010, 4:55:18 PM7/29/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

Any thread you decide to respond to me

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Jul 29, 2010, 9:37:30 PM7/29/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Oh go on.

Be a devil!

I have researched these prophecies & premonitions (a bit). But it's
just bunkum.

But I haven't been able to research your premonitions spacey, as I
don't know who you are.

But even if you told me some of your premonitions, how could I prove
them without independent verifiable evidence to support your claim. I
mean, all ya gotta do is say is something like, "In 1985 I had a
vision of the twin towers being hit by two planes in 2001" and I
should then go, Wow.... I suppose.

But I can't prove anything can I spacey?

You could bullshit all you like, & I wouldn't know the difference
would I?

And that's your modus operandi isn't it?

Bullshitting.

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 30, 2010, 5:15:14 AM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
yawn ... youre putting me to sleep

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 30, 2010, 5:22:07 AM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
well maximass ... thats up to your little mind to decide isnt it? i
really dont give a rats buttocks if you believe me or not ... is that
devilish enough for you? reports of premonition are a dime a
zillion ... but your abject skepticism writes them all off as
bunkum ... as well, sucks to be you imo

i love getting premonitions ... really is a brain teaser as to how it
happens ... im not really surprised that you have never had them, or
anything else other than purely physical experiences ... you seem like
a real meat and potatoes sort of guy ... heavy on the blood and guts,
but a "bit" light on the gravy ... ewwww

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Jul 30, 2010, 5:46:18 AM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
So you do foresee the future eh spacey?

Oh this just gets better & better.

Come on then........give us a premonition.

Don't make it too far out........How 'bout in the next couple of weeks
eh? Any chance you could give us an idea of the third at Randwick this
Saturday (the horse races) or the opener at the dish lickers (the
greyhounds) Much obliged.

And Neil has the temerity to assert that you think you are prophet
like...and....well.....hang on a tick

Are you the second coming?

Oh lord!

I beseech thee!!!

Drafterman

<drafterman@gmail.com>
Jul 30, 2010, 8:03:47 AM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Thanks for providing an example.

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Jul 30, 2010, 8:21:08 AM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Oh stop it! That was far too easy.

Neil Kelsey

<neil_kelsey@hotmail.com>
Jul 30, 2010, 9:24:36 AM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Jul 29, 7:28 am, e_space <espace1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> do your own research bud ... on a personal note, i have had many
> explicit premonitions ... but quantifying or describing them to you
> isnt high on my list of important things to do ...

So, as always, no one has any reason to believe you. But don't tell
me, let me guess - it's our fault for not being 'spiritual.'

> On Jul 29, 7:48 am, Max <ass...@pcfin.net> wrote:
>

> > What are the attributes required of a flesh & blood human being
> > capable of portending the future? Please tell us the number of
> > successful predictions or 'prophecies' that have come to fruition,
> > beyond that of simple statistical guesswork?
>
> > On Jul 29, 2:07 am, e_space <espace1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > of course prophesies exist ... and, just like scientific theories,
> > > some of them do not materialize ...

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 30, 2010, 12:13:14 PM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
you dont give premonitions oh thou with the wee cranium ... you get
them??? ... maybe you should look up the definition of the word ...
heres a hint ... go to www.google.ca ... put in "premonition" in the
little blank field ... you know what a little blank field is ...
right? of course you do ... you play in one all the time dont you? ;-
^)

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 30, 2010, 12:14:00 PM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
i dont need you to give me an example of how you put me to sleep ...
just scroll up and read your posts ;-^)

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 30, 2010, 12:14:26 PM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
you mean you understand it then ... right? ;-^)

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 30, 2010, 12:15:30 PM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
i wouldnt call being a voider your fault ... but if you want to think
of it that way ... fill your pint sized hat ;-^)

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 30, 2010, 12:17:03 PM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
you children having fun yet? hahahaha ;-^)

Neil Kelsey

<neil_kelsey@hotmail.com>
Jul 30, 2010, 12:21:14 PM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Jul 30, 9:15 am, e_space <espace1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> i wouldnt call being a voider your fault ...

So then even if we (the "voiders") followed your advice and looked
inside ourselves to find 'god' it wouldn't do any good? Why are you
telling us that's what we should do when you think it's pointless
inthe first place?

> but if you want to think
> of it that way ... fill your pint sized hat  ;-^)

I'm just trying to make some sense of your nonsensical religious
beliefs.

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 30, 2010, 1:07:32 PM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
and im not trying to make sense out of yours ... even? ;-^)

Drafterman

<drafterman@gmail.com>
Jul 30, 2010, 1:21:53 PM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
That's not what I was thanking you for.

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 30, 2010, 1:31:28 PM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
i realize that, but im not really that interested in our dialogue ...
sorry

Drafterman

<drafterman@gmail.com>
Jul 30, 2010, 1:35:01 PM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Yes, I know you aren't. I already mentioned that.

Neil Kelsey

<neil_kelsey@hotmail.com>
Jul 30, 2010, 1:41:04 PM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Jul 30, 10:07 am, e_space <espace1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> and im not trying to make sense out of yours ... even?  ;-^)

It shows, given your relentless non sequitur fallacies.

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 30, 2010, 3:47:43 PM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
i dont like your religion ... or i would be more interested ... sorry

Neil Kelsey

<neil_kelsey@hotmail.com>
Jul 30, 2010, 4:18:21 PM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
On Jul 30, 12:47 pm, e_space <espace1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> i dont like your religion ... or i would be more interested ... sorry

I'm an atheist, genius, I don't have a religion.

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Jul 30, 2010, 11:53:11 PM7/30/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Yes dimwit, you 'get' premonitions...........and then you 'tell'
people about 'em before the event happens. That way we know you're not
bullshitting & we can keep track of your hits & misses.

Because if you 'tell' people after the event occurs, it's not a
premonition it's postmonition, as you wouldn't have known the event
had already happened, otherwise it's just bullshit if you already were
aware of the event.

But with you.....I'll lay odds that you're just a bullshitter.

I mean, you've got form.

But go on 'spirit polisher', tell us a premonition you had that came
to pass.

Come to think of it, I also get premonitions. Has it ever happened to
you when you think of someone you haven't seen for years, then
amazingly, you bump into them somewhere a day or so
later............Yep, I think everyone on the planet has experienced
something like that.

And I call it.................coincidence!!!!

What do you call it...........spirit polishing eh?......more like knob
polishing I would have thought)

On Jul 31, 12:13 am, e_space <espace1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> you dont give premonitions oh thou with the wee cranium ... you get
> them??? ... maybe you should look up the definition of the word ...
> heres a hint ... go towww.google.ca... put in "premonition" in the

Eris

<vithant@gmail.com>
Jul 31, 2010, 12:33:24 AM7/31/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
According to a book I read "Breakdown of the bi Carmel mind", while
your left brain is running your mouth, your right brain is evaluating
situations your left brain is not aware of and using common logic
gives, your left brain a visual picture or pidgin English premonition

On Jul 29, 10:33 am, e_space <espace1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> are you saying that you have never had a premonition that
> materialized?
>
> On Jul 29, 8:48 am, Steve in Virginia <chandler2...@hotmail.com>

> > The problem with prophecies is their vague and subjectively
> > interpretive structure.  The prophecies of Nostradamus, and others
> > provide nothing as far as specifics are concerned.  For example,
> > Nostradamus' quatrain predicts:
>
> > "Northern wind will cause the siege to be raised,
> > Over the walls to throw ashes, lime chalk and dust,
> > Through rain afterwards, which will do them much harm,
> > Meanest assistance against their frontier."
>
> > Does this refer to the Haitian earthquake and the torrential rains
> > that followed that devastating event?  Or perhaps the flooding in the
> > Mississippi valley?  Maybe, it refers to the fires that swept through
> > portions of Louisiana following hurricane Katrina. Or the aftermath of
> > the oil rig explosion in the Gulf.  A nasty firefight against the
> > Taliban? Or does he mean the past 48 days of infernally hot weather
> > we've had in Virginia that has beaten the crap out of my pumpkins,
> > tomatoes and basil?  Not to mention the subsequent thunderstorms that
> > have provided a sorely needed tonic for the lackluster weeds and
> > crabgrass that have struggled to regain their foothold during the heat
> > wave.
>
> > Therein lies the problem.  For a prediction to be useful it requires
> > specific data prior to the event, not a generalized observation that
> > is interpreted in favor of the prophecy after that fact.
>
> > Steve
>
> > On Jul 29, 6:40 am, e_space <espace1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > what about the ones that have? there are many examples of this ... but
> > > i realize you write all of these off as coincidence ... the word
> > > "premonition" should be stricken from the dictionary in your opinion,
> > > right?

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 31, 2010, 7:12:02 AM7/31/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
dimwit? awwwww and just when i thought you were enjoying playing with
me ... waaaaaahhhhh ... like i said, slightly disingenuous arent ya? ;-
^)

if you are so sure of the definition of premonition, why would you say
something as goofy as "Come on then........give us a premonition.
Don't make it too far out........How 'bout in the next couple of weeks
eh? Any chance you could give us an idea of the third at Randwick this
Saturday (the horse races) or the opener at the dish lickers (the
greyhounds) Much obliged."

in this clueless request, you are asking me to determine the outcome
of a dish licking contest [btw, i think youd win that one ;-^] ... you
dont come up with premonitions sonny ... you dont choose the topic, or
the time, or the outcome ... youre not making any sense oh childish
one ... but dont worry, im quite used to it .... unfortunately ... ;-
^)

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 31, 2010, 7:12:59 AM7/31/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
thats wonderful ... so?

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Jul 31, 2010, 8:09:29 AM7/31/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
Hey, spacey, you're right. My mistake. In my excitement to engage you
once more I erroneously suggested that you could summon a premonition.
I should have said, summon a 'prediction'.

I was wrong & you were right. (See, not hard to do eh?)

But since we're on the subject, fill me in on one of your
'premonitions' that came to fruition me old bucko!

BTW, dishlicking wasn't the game. Greyhounds - dogs -
dishlickers.....kerplunk.

Hit me with your rhythm stick spacey & fill me in.

chazwin

<chazwyman@yahoo.com>
Jul 31, 2010, 10:31:46 AM7/31/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

It's complete crap.
It does not matter how many of his so-called prophecies are claimed to
come true. none of them are remotely accurate or temporally related to
similar events.
If any one doubts this they have only to open the stupid book of his
writings.

On Jul 28, 6:38 pm, "ranjit_math...@yahoo.com"

Simon Ewins

<sjewins@gmail.com>
Jul 31, 2010, 10:34:25 AM7/31/10
to atheism-vs-christianity@googlegroups.com
[chazwin]

> It's complete crap.
> It does not matter how many of his so-called prophecies are claimed to
> come true. none of them are remotely accurate or temporally related to
> similar events.

A lot of this is due to people intentionally altering his original text
to make it fit.

http://listverse.com/2007/09/14/top-10-prophecies-of-nostradamus-debunked/

> If any one doubts this they have only to open the stupid book of his
> writings.
>

> On Jul 28, 6:38 pm, "ranjit_math...@yahoo.com"
> <ranjit_math...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hindu lauds Nostradamus for 800 accurate prophecies and claims
>> Nostradamus prophesied Hindu victory that will end Christianity!http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/72-7113.aspx

--
"Only that in you which is me can hear what I'm saying." [Baba Ram Dass]

"It takes all the running you can do just to keep in the same place."
[Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass, 1872]

e_space

<espace1984@gmail.com>
Jul 31, 2010, 7:39:00 PM7/31/10
to Atheism vs Christianity
summing up a prediction may be found by visiting someone burning
incense and staring into a crystal ball ... got a couple of hundred,
maybe she will know who is going to do the licking for you or whatever
it is you are talking about? ...

natural premonitions are obviously far from anything you have
experienced, and therefore it is quite understandable that someone who
exemplifies closed-door skepticism due to an internal void simply
cannot relate to ... i have mentioned a few of my premonitions before,
even recently, and wasting the time doing so again, least wise with
you, seems like SUCH a waste of time, so i'll pass on your
invitation ... thanks for the interest though ;-^)

Max

<assent@pcfin.net>
Jul 31, 2010, 8:26:05 PM7/31/10
to Atheism vs Christianity

On Aug 1, 7:39 am, e_space <espace1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> summing up a prediction may be found by visiting someone burning
> incense and staring into a crystal ball ... got a couple of hundred,
> maybe she will know who is going to do the licking for you or whatever
> it is you are talking about? ...

Geez, you're painfully slow sometimes. Dogs eat their food from bowls
(or a dish) and most, if not all of 'em lick the dish clean so as to
get every last morsel.

Dishlickers - Australian vernacular for dog, and in this case,
Greyhounds who also run races.

> natural premonitions are obviously far from anything you have
> experienced, and therefore it is quite understandable that someone who
> exemplifies closed-door skepticism due to an internal void simply
> cannot relate to ... i have mentioned a few of my premonitions before,

Like you master, I don't read every post, so go on, give us just one
premonition that came to pass.

> even recently, and wasting the time doing so again, least wise with
> you, seems like SUCH a waste of time, so i'll pass on your
> invitation ... thanks for the interest though ;-^)

You pass a hell of lot on my requests don't you. You really don't like
scrutiny do you? You much prefer unchallenged acceptance of whatever
shite you blither on with from time to time.