Data Set Example for downloading and processing SDSS spectra HTTP Error 404

Joseph Karpinski

Feb 13, 2017, 10:41:48 PM2/13/17
to astroML-general
Urllib2.HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found

http://www.astroml.org/examples/datasets/compute_sdss_pca.html#example-datasets-compute-sdss-pca

My best guess:

Some websites dislike being browsed by programs, or send different versions to different browsers. By default urllib2 identifies itself as Python-urllib/x.y (where x and y are the major and minor version numbers of the Python release, e.g. Python-urllib/2.5), which may confuse the site, or just plain not work. The way a browser identifies itself is through the User-Agent header

Is there a workaround for the above compute_sdss_pca.py program?

Jake Vanderplas

Feb 13, 2017, 11:11:01 PM2/13/17
to Joseph Karpinski, astroML-general
Hello,
I think the URL where the spectra were hosted is no longer valid.

This is one of many missing file issues in the dataset fetchers. I haven't had time to track down and fix these issues, but I'm hoping to find some spare cycles for it this summer.

Best,
   Jake

Marusa B

Mar 1, 2017, 8:16:24 PM3/1/17