Project Brazil

Lucas Dohmen

May 2, 2014, 5:22:38 PM5/2/14
to ashi...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

I think one crucial part is still missing to bring ArangoDB to the Ruby community: An easy way to generate AQL queries! I’ve started prototyping a small Ruby DSL:
https://github.com/moonglum/brazil

This is just a prototype. The code will be rewritten as it is only a spike ;) What I really would love is if you could provide me with feedback. What do you think about the DSL? Does the README help you write your first queries with it? :)

Best Wishes
Lucas
signature.asc

Patrick Mulder

May 3, 2014, 5:49:54 AM5/3/14
to ashi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lucas,

I like it. Indeed, using AQL from outside Arango is a problem.

Maybe it could be used for brazil.js too :)
I am wondering if this project could help: http://knexjs.org/

What projects are you looking at that provide similar "transpile" effects ?

Patrick

Lucas Dohmen

May 3, 2014, 9:13:46 PM5/3/14
to ashi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,

Yep, I want to do something similar for JavaScript later as well. It’s not possible to port this API to JavaScript though, because JavaScript is much less flexible and won’t allow this. It will therefore work differently. Thanks for pointing out Knex, I will look at that :)

What do you mean with the 'transpile' effect?

Best Wishes,
Lucas

signature.asc

Patrick Mulder

May 4, 2014, 4:57:23 AM5/4/14
to ashi...@googlegroups.com
I was reminded by "Transpiler": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transpiler from that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq5hmbjaBFk where Jeremy Ashkenas talks about CoffeeScript.

Lucas Dohmen

May 4, 2014, 12:13:52 PM5/4/14
to ashi...@googlegroups.com
Hm, transpires are an interesting concept. But I don’t see how that applies to Brazil. Do you mean you want to transpile from Ruby to JS?
signature.asc