Laser Discussion (TLDR: Blower was not attached) other thoughts

ChaBuku Alex Bakke

Mar 31, 2017, 11:23:55 AM3/31/17
to Asheville Makers
Hey y'all I discussed some issues that seemed to be happening with the laser with a few people.

Seems like a couple things were done to improve the functioning (yay!). I wasn't super aware of how the laser was set up and so after talking with a few people without too much to go on I just poked around and noticed last weekend that the blower was disconnected from the back.

Whoops! Must have happened in some of the movements we had on the machine. I put it back in there and plugged it in (it was unplugged from the outlet too) and I have had none of the flaring up issues I was having before. So that's something to check if it starts happening ever again.

I've gotten a good method down of throwing in one or two water bottles (I now have four in the freezer in the AAAC kitchen) right about the time I start and swapping them out after it gets a little higher.

The temp of the water when beginning is room temperature and as the weather gets warmer the baseline will nearly be too hot. I'll probably save a half-gallon milk jug and freeze that into a brick for when that happens.

Should we freshen up the distilled water in the container sometime? I feel like grabbing water bottles in and out of that thing might leave the water not-so-distilled as it was before so maybe this distilled water should be changed every once in awhile?

Have we heard anything yet about increasing the power past 60% yet? I'd love to give this a bit more of a go if I can to do some heavier cutting. I was cutting some hard woods recently and it took me 3-5 passes to get through. Note what I was cutting was Bolivian Rosewood which is about 1,960 on the Janka Hardness scale (info on that for fun is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test).