Deosoldering Braid

Simeón Cogswell

Jul 16, 2016, 3:01:04 PM7/16/16
to Asheville Makers
Do we have any at the space?

Avi Silverman

Jul 16, 2016, 5:07:26 PM7/16/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
I have some that you are welcome to use, just make sure it gets put back. It should be in my soldering station box (blue and white box, top left of the personal shelf space), but just in case it's not, it could be in the top section of my tool box (black with yellow lid, same place). If it's not in one of those two places, then I guess I don't have it at the space after all.

Avi

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 2:01 PM, Simeón Cogswell <nillic.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
Do we have any at the space?

Simeón Cogswell

Jul 16, 2016, 5:11:13 PM7/16/16
to Asheville Makers
cool, thank you

Avi Silverman

Jul 16, 2016, 5:30:00 PM7/16/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com

I also have a solder sucker one of those two places as well (which I tend to prefer), that you are welcome to use as well.

Mike Wilson

Jul 16, 2016, 11:26:38 PM7/16/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com

I also have a solder sucker one of those two places as well (which I tend to prefer), that you are welcome to use as well.

What kind of a mutant are you? Those things are worthless. :)

Ian Baillie

Jul 17, 2016, 7:46:42 AM7/17/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
I've had great luck with my solder sucker, as well. I actually prefer it to the braid, especially now that I'm using a rework station.

Jul 17, 2016, 8:41:12 AM7/17/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com

So, for me, I think it really depends on what I am soldering. For through-hole parts, especially on perf board - which is where I usually have problems (hate you perf board!), I find the sucker to work way better than braid.

I don't typically have excess solder issues with smt components (or PBCs in general for that matter) - where I think braid starts being more useful. So, I almost never have issues here, unless I'm trying to remove a larger IC, or the pin pitch on something is really small and I end up having trouble effectively wicking away a bridge with just my iron alone - although still, I typically find it more effective to just swap iron tip types.

Ian, I still want to try out your hot air station at some point! Maybe when I'm back in town I can convince you to bring it by the space.

;)

Ian Baillie

Jul 17, 2016, 9:21:23 AM7/17/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, we could do that. At some point, I feel like the space may wind up with one. It has been pretty handy.