Taz 6 updates and Resin Print Failure

Robert Schultz

Feb 10, 2018, 12:44:07 PM2/10/18
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Greetings

Short version:
- The TAZ hot end will no longer dig too far down into the wiper strip. This GCode change was made Cura-wide and applies to all profiles, present and future.

- TAZ z-offset reset to default -1.2

- Tested and created a HIPS "Standard (AVL Maker)" profile in Cura. Raises print bed temp to 125C and print temp to 250C.

- Flexible SLA resin print failed due to too large model surface area causing object to break from supports in between layers late in print. I didn't orient model correctly.

Long version:
Since putting on the Aerostruder on the taz, during cleaning the hot end was pushing itself really down into the cleaning pad. It pushed so far in that it actually bends the entire bed down during cleaning.

I updated the GCode in Cura today to prevent it from going down that far. It now is much more reasonable. This is a cura-wide setting (attached to the printer settings) and thus applies to all material profiles current and future.

I also reset the z-index offset to it's default -1.2

I also created a HIPS "Standard (AVL Maker)" profile that raises the print bed temp from 85C to 125C (so the prints stick) and the print temp from 240C to 250C (to counteract how much better the aerostruder cools down the material). These fixes were discovered by other makers like Zak and Steve Miller, I just put them into a profile and printed a test cube and it worked fine.

Lastly I tried printing a HUGE rubber stamp out of flexible resin on the Formlabs printer. It was a 14 hour print and when I came in today it had failed. It looks like what happened is the print broke off from it's supports around hour 13. This is entirely my fault due to how I oriented the model. I had it oriented so the big stamp surface was exactly horizontal with the resin tray/build plate. So when it started printing that part, it all of a sudden had a fairly massive surface area that it needed to cure between the object and the bottom of the resin tray and then dislodge in between each layer. This stress after several layers caused the print to come lose from it's supports and it fell into the resin tray. The print detected a problem and stopped printing, likely due to the wiper trying to wipe and encountering resistance from the model that had fallen in. I guess this is why all the tutorials and pictures I've seen have models oriented so the least amount of cross section of the model is touching the try bottom at any one time.

I don't plan on trying the stamp again any time soon, but I heard a rumor someone else will be printing some stamps on Monday :)

I am though printing a different model in flexible, just so we have an example of what the flexible material looks like. It should be finished some time this afternoon.