Lockpicking help?

Avi Silverman

Sep 17, 2015, 3:10:31 PM9/17/15
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Wondering if anyone with a lockpicking kit / experience is going to be at the Tuesday meetup. I have a lock that I need to open and don't have the key for (and would prefer not to break it).

Avi

Zak Smolen

Sep 17, 2015, 3:16:56 PM9/17/15
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
I dabbled when I was younger but wasn't ever much good. I do know though if you have some old hacksaw blades lying around you can make some nice picks with a grinder... Is it a padlock? I saw something recently about non-destructively picking padlocks which I could dig up.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Avi Silverman <avi.si...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wondering if anyone with a lockpicking kit / experience is going to be at the Tuesday meetup. I have a lock that I need to open and don't have the key for (and would prefer not to break it).

Avi

Avi Silverman

Sep 17, 2015, 10:18:51 PM9/17/15
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
I bought an e-bike off of craigslist yesterday, and the battery pack has a lock keeping it attached to the bike. The previous owner didn't have the key, and I want to take the pack off so I can open it up and replace the batteries.

I was able to ride to the space and back today on a full charge (~5miles round trip), but by the time I got home the batteries were pretty dead (couldn't even make it up my driveway with me on it - granted it is pretty steep), and the entire time they seemed pretty under-powered. On that note: Bill - how many AH does your battery pack have?

Bill Nixdorf

Josh Murphy

Sep 18, 2015, 2:29:06 PM9/18/15
to Asheville Makers
Figure out what type of lock then consult the youtubes... probably your best bet. I'm guessing from the application it's a wafer lock.
This was blocked at my work, but the address seems like it would be the best chance: www.lockpickguide.com/waferlocks.html

l0ckcr4ck3r

Sep 18, 2015, 3:30:59 PM9/18/15
to Asheville Makers
I'd open it for you if i could make it this week but at the moment i don't have the ability to get to the space on tuesdays. If its not attached to anything and the Mrs can collect it, i'll open it and return it to you.

Why not teach yourself how to open it? Best resource on youtube is Bosnian Bill.... https://www.youtube.com/user/bosnianbill

Take a photo of the lock and one of the keyway and i can give you some advice on how to tackle it... you might find that Impressioning would be a better method than picking and you would create a working key for it in the process.

I sent an email to the group back in June offering to run a workshop on an intro to Locksport but didn't hear anything much back.

I have a couple of cutaways for the space that i haven't had a chance to drop off yet but they should help explain how to pick a lock to anyone there who's interested.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more help.

Zak Smolen

Sep 18, 2015, 4:03:57 PM9/18/15
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
I would definitely be interested in a workshop!

Nicholas Rake

Sep 20, 2015, 5:34:12 PM9/20/15
to Asheville Makers
I have the kit and rudimentary knowledge from last year's Maker Faire. I'd be way interested in a class.

Avi Silverman

Sep 22, 2015, 2:32:55 PM9/22/15
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, it's attached to the bike, so it doesn't come off. I have some very rudimentary lock picking knowledge via a friend in college who was into it, but don't have a kit. Nick: If you don't mind bringing your kit, maybe one of us can give it a shot. =)

Impressioning sounds ideal, although, I have no idea how to do it. Guess I'll look that up.

Definitely would be interested in a workshop too!

Avi

Nicholas Rake

Sep 23, 2015, 4:38:51 PM9/23/15
to Asheville Makers

Follow up for the list readers:
I brought my kit in last night. I tried with the rake at first (it's the name thing ;) ) and didn't have much luck. After switching to a small half-diamond, I managed to get it in under 30 seconds. That was the first time I had tried outside of a training lock so I was quite proud of myself. :)

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 5:34 PM, Nicholas Rake <kni...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have the kit and rudimentary knowledge from last year's Maker Faire. I'd be way interested in a class.

On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 3:10:31 PM UTC-4, Avi wrote:
Wondering if anyone with a lockpicking kit / experience is going to be at the Tuesday meetup. I have a lock that I need to open and don't have the key for (and would prefer not to break it).

Avi

l0ckcr4ck3r

Sep 25, 2015, 2:48:52 AM9/25/15
to Asheville Makers