2015 Wrap up and news for 2016

Patrick Davis

Dec 23, 2015, 8:06:03 AM12/23/15
to Asheville Makers
I am currently working on a post for the website and I had some questions before I post it.
  • Membership levels - Can someone send me the info for what was decided on the new membership levels?  I will also update the Membership information page with what you send me.
  • The new space will be available sometime in January pending a CO for the building
  • Arduino Workshop - I know some of us are working on a workshop for an intro Arduino class, do we have any tentative dates or a description of what the workshop will entail?
  • Tools - Do we have a list of tools that will be available in the new space?
  • Any other numbers or information we want to report for 2015?
  • Maker fair write up - Tom and Steve (or anyone else that was there) can someone write a paragraph of what happened?  I want to wrap a few pictures that Steve gave me in some context and promote the upcoming event in February.

Thanks for the help!

Steve Altemeier

Dec 23, 2015, 10:29:16 AM12/23/15
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
See responses below - thanks!

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Patrick Davis <yard...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am currently working on a post for the website and I had some questions before I post it.
  • Membership levels - Can someone send me the info for what was decided on the new membership levels?  I will also update the Membership information page with what you send me.
  • The new space will be available sometime in January pending a CO for the building
  • ​.  This is my understanding as well.
  • Arduino Workshop - I know some of us are working on a workshop for an intro Arduino class, do we have any tentative dates or a description of what the workshop will entail?
  • ​  Let's say February as the tentative date.  The workshop will be for people with no or very little experience with arduino.  It will cover (if time allows - probably wqy too much here...) 1) what is the arduino and the basic components; 2) using the IDE to program the arduino including the Serial class and some basic program structures; 3) using I/O pins and controlling LEDs; and 4) using libraries with an ultrasonic distance sensor example and a buzzer example.  We will have a limited number of supplies available on a first come first serve basis forthose who don't have their own arduino and components.  More details on that and final dates coming in Janaury.
  • Tools - Do we have a list of tools that will be available in the new space?
  • ​  Equipment that we will be bringing in to the space immediately:
    • 3D Printers (two with approx 12"x12"x12" build area, one that is smaller)
    • Electronics Tools and Prototyping Equipment (Oscilloscopes, power supplies, multi-meters, circuit prototyping equipment, etc)
    • Various Hand Tools
    • Soldering Equipment
    • Several Desktop Computers
    • Engine Hoist (for lifting heavy items)

    Equipment to be acquired shortly after moving in:
    • CNC Router (on loan from a member - assuming that we have an appropriate space for it, and where it can be secured)
    • Laser Cutter (hoping to secure funding to purchase one within a few months of moving into the space)

    Future items (depending on member interest, and if there is an appropriate space) may include:
    • Various Power Tools
    • Woodworking Equipment
    • Metalworking / Blacksmithing Equipment
      ​​
  • Any other numbers or information we want to report for 2015?
  • Maker fair write up - Tom and Steve (or anyone else that was there) can someone write a paragraph of what happened?  I want to wrap a few pictures that Steve gave me in some context and promote the upcoming event in February.

    Thanks for the help!

    Steve Altemeier

    Dec 23, 2015, 10:44:56 AM12/23/15
    to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
    Sorry - sent prematurely...  see below for remaining responses.

    • ​  See below - anyone else please feel free to add to, correct, or amend this.  Thanks!
     The Asheville Makers participated in the Barn​es & Noble Mini Maker Faire the weekend of November 6th with one group at the Asheville Mall
    ​location ​
    on Friday evening and another group at the Biltmore Square location on Saturday afternoon.  Tom Heck brought his hovercraft, and riding that was, as it always is, the highlight
    ​o​
    f the event
    ​ for the many kids there​
    .  However, the hovercraft had more
    ​c
    ompetition than usual
    ​for 'most popular' ​
    since Tom also brought a giant air cannon capable of shooting "smoke" rings through the store (not actual smoke, but instead  a chemical fog that, luckily, did not set off any fire alarms...).  This was also a huge crowd pleaser with one woman coming up to us and asking how much it cost to buy one.  When Tom explained it wasn't for sale but that
    ​it was
     easy to make
    ​ one​
    , she became quite puzzled and asked "You mean you're not selling anything?"  Overall, the event generated a lot of smiles from the kids (and adults) and some good exposure for the Asheville Makers.  We were told that Barnes and Noble hopes to make this a regular event, so those who missed out will have opportunities to join us at the next one!

    Steve Altemeier

    Dec 23, 2015, 11:18:20 AM12/23/15
    to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
    One clarification to avoid possible misunderstandings - the arduino supplies we have for the class will be available for purchase; we will not be giving them away to participants.  Thanks!

    Patrick Davis

    Dec 23, 2015, 11:34:08 AM12/23/15
    to Asheville Makers
    Awesome thanks for the quick response!

    Patrick Davis

    Dec 23, 2015, 12:00:15 PM12/23/15
    to Asheville Makers
    Is the class completely free if you only want to attend and not take anything home?

    Also, are we charging for non-members?

    Steve Altemeier

    Dec 23, 2015, 12:52:08 PM12/23/15
    to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
    TBD, I suppose.  I was thinking that at a minimum, people would need to pay something (maybe $20) to reserve a spot, but possibly giving them some or all of that money back when they actually showed up for the class (and no-shows would forfeit their deposit) - just to avoid people reserving a spot, possibly with the best of intentions, but then not getting around to actually coming to the class.  We'll figure out the economics in early January, I suppose, and I'm wide open to suggestions on that point.  Will want to discuss with the board as well, since we might decide we want to charge non-members something since the class is using the space, or maybe just accept donations.

    Patrick Davis

    Dec 23, 2015, 1:05:30 PM12/23/15
    to Asheville Makers
    Sounds good, I left it pretty vague and we can fill in the rest when we start to advertise that workshop.

    The post is up if anyone wants to view it!

    Tom Heck

    Jan 5, 2016, 10:55:15 PM1/5/16
    to Asheville Makers
    Hi Patrick,

    One news item to consider...

    I just had an article published on the MAKE Magazine website:

    Tom

    Steve Altemeier

    Jan 6, 2016, 10:57:21 AM1/6/16
    to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
    Congrats, Tom!  Also, I've been meaning to ask, how is the new job going?

    Patrick Davis

    Jan 7, 2016, 8:16:22 AM1/7/16
    to Asheville Makers
    Congrats Tom!  I will get this up on the site today!

    Tom Heck

    Jan 7, 2016, 9:24:48 AM1/7/16
    to Asheville Makers
    Hi Steve,

    My new job with Makey Makey (Joy Labz LLC) is going great. The work is inspiring and challenging.

    I look forward to spending more time with you and the rest of the Asheville Makers community in 2016.

    Tom

    Tom Heck

    Jan 7, 2016, 9:25:04 AM1/7/16
    to Asheville Makers