need a laser cutter now

Tom Heck

Aug 23, 2016, 10:35:11 AM8/23/16
to Asheville Makers
I know there's been talk about buying a laser cutter for the space. This is very cool. However, I need one now. Does anyone know of a service that will allow me to or laser cut cardboard pieces? I need lots of 2" x 6" cardboard pieces. See this photo:

I seem to remember being able to order 3D printed parts. Surely there is an equivalent for laser cutting.

Thoughts?

Robert Schultz

Aug 23, 2016, 10:52:48 AM8/23/16
to Asheville Makers
I've used these folks for my laser cutting needs: https://www.ponoko.com/

They have lots of different materials to choose from. I thought the prices were very reasonable along with options to pay more if you need it faster.

I used them to laser cut some wood for me to make test tube racks for storing resistors: http://cosmicrealms.com/blog/2016/02/07/resistor-test-tube-rack/

However they have cardboard and other material options available.

Avi Silverman

Aug 23, 2016, 10:55:44 AM8/23/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com

I've also heard of ponoko being recommended, but can't speak to it.

Zak Smolen

Aug 23, 2016, 1:02:37 PM8/23/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
I think Pololu does but I don't know how they compare price-wise to others.

Zak Smolen

Aug 23, 2016, 1:05:44 PM8/23/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Ah, my earlier recommendation for pololu was intended for ponoko, but I know pololu does cutting as well. looks like ponoko has lots more options and materials.

Tom Heck

Aug 23, 2016, 3:26:00 PM8/23/16
to Asheville Makers
Thank you so much for the recommendation of ponoko.com. I will look into this ASAP.

Zak Smolen

Aug 23, 2016, 3:37:00 PM8/23/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
If anyone else wants to play with some laser cutting these look like they would go well with our new pegboard :) http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1602921