Welding Demo

Steve Altemeier

May 18, 2017, 1:59:27 PM5/18/17
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Will Eccleston has agreed to do a welding demo at the general meeting on Tuesday, May 30th!  (weather permitting - this will be outdoors).  If anyone has any welding helmets we could use that evening, that would permit more folks to watch at one time.  The helmets need to be at least shade #10.

Also, wearing long pants and closed shoes, and bringing something like a leather jacket for extra coverage up top would be good as well if you want to really get close.

Thanks!

Zak Smolen

May 18, 2017, 2:55:06 PM5/18/17
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
We actually have that one set goggles at the space (on the shelf above the laser) that should allow people to watch, although it would not protect their face.

Avi Silverman

May 18, 2017, 3:53:17 PM5/18/17
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
I did about 10 minutes of welding once while wearing a short sleeve shirt. My arms ended up pretty red and tingly. ;P

Ian Baillie

May 18, 2017, 4:27:01 PM5/18/17
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Wimps! Just close your eyes when you strike the arc. I have frequently welded in shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops. The latter being the worst decision of the three.

Goggles are not useful.  It took me 2 tries at "Hey, this is only a tiny weld, I don't need to put my leather jacket on, and/or I can do this in shorts" before I learned.  Very serious sunburn (like, at least 2nd degree) happens in less than a minute.  Gotta be a mask, and all skin covered.  But everyone should plan to do some simple welding that night.  It's not rocket surgery.

Wimps! Just close your eyes when you strike the arc. I have frequently welded in shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops. The latter being the worst decision of the three.

Ian Baillie

May 19, 2017, 10:00:02 AM5/19/17
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Unless we're welding rocket parts, in which case it is!

May 19, 2017, 10:04:41 AM5/19/17
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
And all joking aside, proper protective gear is very important. I have a long history of sub-standard usage of it, and tend to take it a little too lightly. I have a MIG shield, and a MIG helmet that I can bring, if I remember. And I'll see if I have a  mig lens for my TIG helmet as well. A pair of leather gloves and shoes that are solid leather are the least you should have, as well as covered arms and legs.

May 19, 2017, 12:02:30 PM5/19/17
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ian- it's a TIG welder, FYI. We'll be tigging.

Sent from my Cosmic Ray Helmet.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Asheville Makers" group.

Zak Smolen

May 19, 2017, 12:29:20 PM5/19/17
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
"
Sent from my Cosmic Ray Helmet"
Excuse me?

A rocket and a submarine are both on my list. I have actually done a bunch of plans for homebuild submarines already.

May 19, 2017, 12:44:23 PM5/19/17
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Cool. Then I will bring all three, as long as I don't forget.

May 19, 2017, 2:08:24 PM5/19/17
to Asheville Makers
I have a helmet and googles i can bring.

John Hay
Sent from mobile 🚫⚓

Avi Silverman