Fwd: The Mountain Science Expo at The NC Arboretum

Asheville Makers

Nov 12, 2014, 1:45:11 PM11/12/14
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com

Forwarded from the Asheville Makers email address....

We were the highlight of the event last year. 1) Is anyone interested in going again? 2) Any ideas of what to do / bring this year?

Avi

Nov 13, 2014, 5:48:37 AM11/13/14
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Avi, I am interested in helping out with this event, and I will try to give some thought to what we might do.  If others are interested, perhaps we could get together and brainstorm some ideas at one of the Tuesday meetings or another time.  Do you know what we did last year?  Thanks, Steve

Avi Silverman

Nov 13, 2014, 8:45:53 AM11/13/14
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com

Last year as a "group" we did paper rocket building / launching, but individually we also brought a ton of other stuff. We had a makey-makey based 2player team tetris game, an arduino based tinfoil wrapper touch capacitive synthesizer, a handful of quad-copters (which were flying around taking arial footage) and some other random stuff. I think what made us so popular with folk was all the interactivity.

Tom Heck

Dec 3, 2014, 4:12:04 PM12/3/14
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
We also had the hovercraft and gave demos and rides.

If the group decides to do paper rockets again I'm happy to share my rocket design. I've improved the design so the build uses only half a sheet. This is the same design I've been working on and improving for my work at the LEAF festival. My half sheet design is now well tested.

I'm hoping I'll be in town for this event.

Tom Heck

Kari Richmond

Dec 8, 2014, 9:52:30 AM12/8/14
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
My son (now 9) loved the hovercraft and rockets, and those seemed to be popular with everybody.  Just a suggestion, but my kiddo is obsessed with marble runs.  He's been wanting to make one forever.  Would it be possible to have some kind of "help us build a marble run with leftover toilet paper tubes" (or working machine of some kind), something that's hands-on, and where the kids can see the working parts?  That's maybe kind of vague, but a starting idea anyway.

Nicholas Rake

Dec 9, 2014, 7:48:26 AM12/9/14
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Kari, that would be awesome. I had a marble drop as a kid and it proved to be one of my favorite toys.