3d Printer #1 is printing pretty nice

Jerry Tice

Sep 16, 2015, 6:37:27 PM9/16/15
to Asheville Makers
A big thanks to Ian for all the hard work he's put into getting printer #1 going.  I got some pretty nice prints today after going through some fine tuning with the setting in my KISSlicer.  Great precision. Now we will see how well that translates into cast metal parts.

Thanks Again Ian!!

Jerry

Avi Silverman

Sep 16, 2015, 6:58:45 PM9/16/15
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com

Nice. Now we need to get you to write up your print settings. ;)

Jerry Tice

Sep 16, 2015, 7:22:33 PM9/16/15
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
No problem. I'll start writing a procedure.

Sent from my iPad

Zak Smolen

Sep 16, 2015, 7:24:03 PM9/16/15
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Out of curiosity, what sorts of metals and do you do the casting yourself or have it done somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone

Jerry Tice

Sep 16, 2015, 10:36:29 PM9/16/15
to Asheville Makers

I mostly use a home brewed version of ZA12 (87% Zn, 12%Al and 1% Cu). But I have done some straight Al cast and a little bronze.  I plan to move up to cast iron but will have to upgrade my furnace to gas from its current charcoal. Here is a short viseo clip:

Zak Smolen

Sep 16, 2015, 11:29:58 PM9/16/15
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Good to know we have someone with some metal casting experience and tools... I may have some questions for you later.

Sent from my iPhone

Ian Baillie

Sep 16, 2015, 11:39:29 PM9/16/15
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Aric Siegle does some metal casting as well. He's not very active on here, but shows up to meetings periodically. I think most of his experience is Al.