Discussion group for lasers like ours...

Tim Swihart, Sr.

Nov 4, 2016, 2:47:18 PM11/4/16
to Asheville Makers
I found a closed group on FaceBook that covers clones of the laser we have:

There's also a group dedicated to RDWorks (the drawing/CAM software that was included with the laser):

Anybody can join the first group just by requesting access (I'm in).  I'm waiting to see if I get added to the second one (but I'm guessing that's also pretty easy).

The laser clone group's files section also includes a couple of documents with suggested settings for a variety of materials...I haven't tried their suggested settings yet to see if they'll work, but they're probably a fine place to start.

Tim Swihart, Sr.

Nov 4, 2016, 3:35:43 PM11/4/16
to Asheville Makers
I have access now to the RDWorks group as well.  There's a short PDF in their Files section that explains how to get RDWorks' embedded software to work with CorelDraw x8 (i.e.: how to fix a bug in RDWorks' installer exposed by a change in CorelDraw's file hierarchy).  I'll give it a try and see if I can get it all working...drawing anything else in RDWorks is likely to melt my brain. :-)

Avi Silverman

Nov 4, 2016, 3:56:17 PM11/4/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com

Joined both! Thanks Tim.

On Nov 4, 2016 3:35 PM, "Tim Swihart, Sr." <tswih...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have access now to the RDWorks group as well.  There's a short PDF in their Files section that explains how to get RDWorks' embedded software to work with CorelDraw x8 (i.e.: how to fix a bug in RDWorks' installer exposed by a change in CorelDraw's file hierarchy).  I'll give it a try and see if I can get it all working...drawing anything else in RDWorks is likely to melt my brain. :-)

Tim Swihart, Sr.

Nov 5, 2016, 3:38:44 AM11/5/16
to Asheville Makers
I was able to get RDWorks working from within CorelDraw x8.  There's a link to a video on the RDWorks FaceBook page but the first part of the video is misleading.  It implies there should be a green icon added to CorelDraw's user interface and this green icon would trigger moving the selected artwork pieces into RDWorks to set up speed and power.

Instead, there's a very generic looking tiny palette that showed up in a fairly subtle way (and since it wasn't green, I didn't notice it). I've included a partial screen shot with the new palette circled in red so anybody else that's wresting with this will know what to look for.

Later in the video, an alternate way of launching RDWorks is explained (right-click on a specific palette)...that works.