Laser Cutter

Avi Silverman

Aug 19, 2016, 3:14:16 PM8/19/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We discussed the potentially buying a super cheap (~$300) small laser cutter for the space at the meeting a couple weeks ago, and decided that we would try and determine interest by seeing if folk would be willing to help fund the purchase. Something like this

I said I would follow up, so, I am soliciting for potential donations by members (or non-members) to purchase this. So, please let me know if you are interested in the space acquiring such a piece of equipment, and if so, are you able / would you be willing to drop a bit of cash down to see this happen. Also, if you have questions, thoughts, or whatnot, discuss.

Respond here, or to me directly.

Avi

John Hay

Aug 19, 2016, 3:38:02 PM8/19/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com

Count me in for $75.00

--
John Hay

Sent from mobile device... 🚫⚓

Friday, 19 August 2016, 03:13PM -04:00 from Avi Silverman avi.si...@gmail.com:

Ian Baillie

Aug 19, 2016, 4:19:14 PM8/19/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Hah! I was thinking about getting one of those to play with at home. If I get back to work soon, I'm good for at least $20 to go toward the space having one. Have we looked into any grants that might net us one? Now that we're a legit 501c3, I would think our options are much better.

Aug 19, 2016, 4:19:25 PM8/19/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
I'm in!  And remember, we are a 501(c)(3) organization, so any donations should be tax deductible if you itemize (This is not tax advice.  Check with your accountant. etc., etc...).  And, if we see significant interest/momemtum, we could consider trying to raise funds more broadly to get a larger/nicer machine.

Thanks,

Steve

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 3:37 PM, John Hay <johnn...@gmail.com> wrote:

Count me in for $75.00

[...]

Steve Altemeier

Aug 19, 2016, 4:21:38 PM8/19/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
I've called a couple of manufacturers so far, and the reception has been less than enthusiastic...  But yes, we should definitely pursue grants, etc.; however those are probably longer-term projects.

Hah! I was thinking about getting one of those to play with at home. If I get back to work soon, I'm good for at least $20 to go toward the space having one. Have we looked into any grants that might net us one? Now that we're a legit 501c3, I would think our options are much better.

Avi Silverman

Aug 19, 2016, 4:33:04 PM8/19/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, the idea with this is that we could have it in a couple of weeks to start playing & learning, while we pursue getting something nicer.

Jerry Tice

Aug 19, 2016, 4:36:23 PM8/19/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Hey Guys,

You can count me in for $75 - $100.

I might even find time to use it occasionally.

Jerry

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 4:21 PM, Steve Altemeier <steve.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've called a couple of manufacturers so far, and the reception has been less than enthusiastic... But yes, we should definitely pursue grants, etc.; however those are probably longer-term projects.

Hah! I was thinking about getting one of those to play with at home. If I get back to work soon, I'm good for at least $20 to go toward the space having one. Have we looked into any grants that might net us one? Now that we're a legit 501c3, I would think our options are much better.

Avi Silverman

Zak Smolen

Aug 23, 2016, 7:44:24 PM8/23/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
I would be in for $50-75

Bob Sinclair

Sep 11, 2016, 9:43:02 PM9/11/16
to Asheville Makers

If I can figure out how to transport it I will bring this in (assembled) on Tuesday. I'm very interested in repeating a project like this with a few tens (rather than hundreds) of hours--which probably means laser cut rather than scroll saw. I have some shadow box-like ideas I'd like to play with.  I've seen laser cutters carve (?) through the anodizing layer on aluminum and I think it would be fun (??) to see what a laser can do with some of the patinas and coatings I've used on silver and copper. If the space buys a machine what do people want to try to do with it (and will that drive us towards any particular purchase goal)?

-B.

Steve Altemeier

Sep 12, 2016, 2:25:59 PM9/12/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
The two things I can think of for which I might use a laser cutter are: 1) custom enclosures cut out of plexiglass and 2) decorative detail cuts or engravings in wood.

Stephen Carter

Sep 12, 2016, 3:05:21 PM9/12/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Enclosures of various sorts are also high on my list.

While 3D printing is most useful for many small parts I may need, such as knobs and supports, cutting parts out of plexiglass may prove better for some needs along these lines.

The ability to cut various support parts from 1/8 and 3/16 aircraft plywood and the like will also help things like the book scanner I hope to build.

I've read some plans for making drone structures from laser cut materials, as well as from 3D printed plans.

I expect to use the CNC router as well, perhaps even roughing out with it, and finishing when sharper corners, interior cutouts, and the like are needed. On a 40-60 watt laser cutter the multiple passes over long lines may possibly be avoided by doing much of the work first with the CNC mill. I'll be interested to see if it is possible to register accurately enough from machine to machine--that's always a problem on old style "dumb" machines, but perhaps the magic of software and intelligence can reduce the setup time and difficulties.

I need to make parts for some restoration projects that may greatly profit by the laser cutter--particularly since I don't have access to a machine shop, and even if I did, the skill level and time may be considerably less with the laser cutter.

Of course once we get a laser cutter, and start to use it, will we be looking forward to a cnc Bridgeport style Mill??? Probably....

Steve

Stephen N. Carter
Asheville, NC 28803

Avi Silverman

Sep 14, 2016, 11:43:00 AM9/14/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

There was an email posted to the members only list about the laser cutter purchase, so if you are a current member you should have received it, but just a quick update for everyone else, we have received donation offers in total of somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,700, so after much research and consideration, instead of purchasing the super cheap small one, we are opting to purchase something more like this one, which is more powerful and has a significantly larger cutting area (may not be this exact one, but close to it). That being said, if you have offered a donation, now is the time to put it in.

If you have your bank account linked to Paypal, the easiest way would probably be to send it via Paypal to "theashevi...@gmail.com" because then they don't charge us a fee, but you can also use the new donate button on the website here (although it charges us a small percentage that way)... or you can simply bring check / cash to the meetup on Tuesday.

You might also notice that I said we had received offers around $1,700 and if you looked at the link that the laser cutter is $1,700, however, we will still need a bit of extra money to purchase some additional accessories / parts (secondary laser tube, power supply upgrade, potential rotary attachment, etc). So, if you were thinking about making a donation but didn't pledge, we could still use a little bit extra. Donations are also tax deductible, if that sort of thing matters to you. =)

Avi