Mystery wood

Zak Smolen

Dec 17, 2016, 9:48:46 PM12/17/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
So I found some mystery wood scraps in the bin that were actually perfect for my uses and I was wondering if anyone knew where it came from? Here's a picture of the scraps I found:

image1.JPG

Bob Sinclair

Dec 18, 2016, 11:20:30 AM12/18/16
to Asheville Makers
Zak,

That is poplar. You may find some more next to my desk, but I'll be bringing more in later today if I can get in.

You can get it at Lowes etc in 1/8" sheets. I reduced that piece on a thickness planer, aiming for 1/16 but couldn't get it that thin. Does anyone have or have access to a thickness drum sander?

B.

Zak Smolen

Dec 18, 2016, 1:41:11 PM12/18/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Ok awesome! If I use any it will only be a few square inches. These are what I was able I make with the scraps.

image1.JPG

Sent from my iPhone

Bob Sinclair

Dec 18, 2016, 7:21:34 PM12/18/16
to Asheville Makers
There is plenty there. Use what you need.

My wife _loves_ wood earrings because they are so light.
:-)

Tim Swihart, Sr.

Dec 18, 2016, 10:38:26 PM12/18/16
to Asheville Makers
I have a thickness sander...easy to run those if needed.  What grit do you want the final surface sanded to (or do you prefer to do the final bit by hand)?

Bob Sinclair

Dec 19, 2016, 12:27:01 AM12/19/16
to Asheville Makers
Tim,

I have been trying to use a thickness planer to take 6" wide sheets down to 1/16" or less. The planer only goes down to maybe 3/32 so I have to use a second board to pad it a little, but with poplar when it gets that thin the blades lift the wood and chew it up rather than cut it smoothly and it's a mess. So I'm thinking a drum sander might allow us to grind off a little more material. The planer gives a decent enough finish so that can still be the visible side and it probably doesn't matter what grit the other side is finished with if it can get us a little thinner, but taking it down to something "smooth" would be nice. I can plane a couple of sheets and bring them to the space if you'd be willing to see what more you can do with them.

The thinner we can go the smaller I think we might be able to make something like this picture (more jewerly-scale stuff - this piece is just under 1" OD so a little big for earrings).

Thanks,

Bob.

Tim Swihart, Sr.

Dec 19, 2016, 8:45:33 PM12/19/16
to Asheville Makers
Bob,

Bring a couple to the meeting if you can.  My sander's belt is 16" wide and open on one end so it allegedly can handle 32" width.  I haven't pushed it past about 20" so far (for the sign in the hallway outside our space...the blank for that was about 20" wide).

I have grits up to 220, maybe 320 for my thickness sander...odds are, 220 is plenty but let's run a couple and see.

Tim S.

Tim Swihart, Sr.

Jan 3, 2017, 4:50:22 PM1/3/17
to Asheville Makers
Bob,

I have your planks of Poplar slimmed down and ready to return.  Will you be at tonight's meeting?  If not, do you want me to leave them in the room with your name on them so you can pick them up later?

Tim S.