Moving to the area, looking for laser cutter access

msjen...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2018, 7:44:33 PM6/12/18
to Asheville Makers
Hi Makers! My boyfriend and I will be moving to the Asheville area in a few weeks. I'm a crafty person and was a member of NC State's Entrepreneurship maker space in college, where I regularly used their laser cutter, as well as had permissions to use the laser cutter located at the College of Textiles. I'm working on a project right now recreating a garment from a 1490's fresco, and need to cut about 80 small pieces of fabric-ouch. Not looking forward to doing it by hand, I realized a laser cutter would be perfect to help me out so I looked up access in Asheville and found you! I was wondering if anyone would be able to sponsor me using the laser cutter for this project once we get up there? I'd bring my own SVG file and can get it converted to AI or any other vector file if you didn't continue the license on the software.

Thanks,
Jenn
12,-Birth-Of-St-John-The-Baptist-Detail-2.jpg

John Hay

Jun 14, 2018, 7:05:32 AM6/14/18
to Asheville Makers
Hello and welcome to the Asheville area. Sounds like an interesting project. Best thing to do would be to stop by one of our Tuesday night meetings (7pm @ 207 Coxe Ave Studio 14) and we can talk about your needs. SVG files are perfect. Looking forward to meeting you.

ChaBuku Alex Bakke

Jul 7, 2018, 8:58:29 PM7/7/18
to Asheville Makers
Yeah, this will be easy for you on the laser. The laser software will import either SVG or AI. I use AI for all my cuts.

I've cut some fabric before (I think Zac has too) and it's quick.

Come on Tuesday for sure once you're in town. :)

John Hay

Jul 7, 2018, 9:10:25 PM7/7/18
to Asheville Makers
FYI.. She came to a meeting and signed up as a supporting member 2 weeks ago!

ChaBuku Alex Bakke

Jul 7, 2018, 9:15:45 PM7/7/18
to Asheville Makers
I guess I don't get the emails, only check the Google group. Haha