Potential new Maker!?

James W Johnson

Jan 8, 2018, 7:46:55 PM1/8/18
to Asheville Makers
Hey all!
I may be moving to Asheville in the coming year and have been an active member of my makerspace here in Santa Fe (https://makesantafe.org/) . I'm doing research on location and have a few questions:
  • What tools or shops are available at Asheville Makers?
  • Do you have a lazer cutter? What size/wattage?
  • Is there a wood/metal shop?
  • CNC router? size?
    • If so, what tools, welders are available?
    • CNC Plazma or handheld?
  • What are the hours? and how does membership training/certifications work?

Thanks so much for your help!

Steve Altemeier

Jan 9, 2018, 8:21:12 AM1/9/18
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Our main tools are a laser cutter (roughly 20"x28" cutting area and nominally 60 watts but I suspect 50 watts is closer to the truth), two 3D printers (one is open source and under continuing upgrades), and two CNC routers.  We also have a soldering station with a variety of electrical equipment including a power supply, oscilloscope, and a hot air rework station.  And, we have a variety of hand tools and a few power tools.  What we do not have yet is a 'dirty' space for woodworking or metalworking.

One of the CNC routers is a Shapeoko3 with a work area of around 15" x 16" with about 4" of total z-axis travel.  The other is a micromill, and I believe the work area is roughly 6" x 11" with maybe 10" of z-axis travel (more guessing on these - i have not used this mill more than a few times).

You can see some info on our tools at wiki,ashevillemakers.org.

Membership is $50/mo. for a Full membership which includes 24/7 access.  A Supporting membership is $25/mo. The Supporting membership has no restriction on hours or machine use, but Supporting members do not have their own key and so may only use the space when a Full member is present.  We do not have any set hours when a Full member is guaranteed to be present, so Supporting members usually use the webcam to see if anyone is down there or coordinate with someone using our Google Group.

Training is currently done on a one-off basis.  If there is a machine you want to use, you just let us know and we arrange to run you through the operation of that machine.  We have offered some classews in the past to help members learn new skills, but we don;t have too many of those due to our relatively small size (perhaps 25 active members?).

Please let us know if you have any other questions!  Thanks,

Steve