Soldering/board design class

Zak Smolen

Sep 16, 2015, 9:03:07 AM9/16/15
to Asheville Makers
There seems to be a lot of interest in both of these topics so I was wondering if people would like me to do one or both? I know of a few pretty east circuits we could put together that I have used to teach before (and that blink and are customizable, so that's a plus) and I already have lots of example schematics I could show designing a board for. I am most comfortable with eagle but no matter what cad software you use the design principles and layout process should remain the same.

Let's see who is interested and we can then figure out if we want to do it on Tuesday or find another time to meet up.

Also, depending on how many people show up we may need some extra soldering equipment and/or some extra materials, but we can deal with that once we get a headcount and see how much interest there is.

Ian Baillie

Sep 16, 2015, 9:40:59 AM9/16/15
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
We have a buttload of soldering irons. I think it sounds like a great idea.

There seems to be a lot of interest in both of these topics so I was wondering if people would like me to do one or both? I know of a few pretty east circuits we could put together that I have used to teach before (and that blink and are customizable, so that's a plus) and I already have lots of example schematics I could show designing a board for. I am most comfortable with eagle but no matter what cad software you use the design principles and layout process should remain the same.

Let's see who is interested and we can then figure out if we want to do it on Tuesday or find another time to meet up.

Also, depending on how many people show up we may need some extra soldering equipment and/or some extra materials, but we can deal with that once we get a headcount and see how much interest there is.

Todd Britton

Sep 16, 2015, 10:07:08 AM9/16/15
to Asheville Makers
I'm definitely in.

Jerry Tice

Sep 16, 2015, 10:19:01 AM9/16/15
to Asheville Makers
I'm in.

Steve Altemeier

Sep 16, 2015, 11:11:11 AM9/16/15
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
I'm in as well.  Thanks!

I'm in.

Nicholas Rake

Sep 16, 2015, 12:48:53 PM9/16/15
to Asheville Makers
Interested. The way I wanted to try to handle things though was to start out with a breadboarding project and then change it to a PCB project. I reckon the robot many of us are working on could be a good one to work with. Hopefully I'll understand the concepts on the breadboard first before trying to grok how and why to lay something out on the PCB. Originally we were gonna go for perfboard in the middle to learn how to work with that, but I'm all about going from breadboard to PCB.

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 11:11:11 AM UTC-4, Steve Altemeier wrote:
I'm in as well.  Thanks!
On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Jerry Tice <gtt...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Zak Smolen

Sep 16, 2015, 1:28:44 PM9/16/15
to Asheville Makers
Also, in the mean time, here are some tutorials I mentioned to some of you yesterday. They seem to have combined a lot of the tutorials into mega-tutorials but they are still useful. They are eagle-specific but many of the concepts are general to cad and schematic/board layout.

(not a tutorial but a useful read)
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/pcb-basics

Zak Smolen

Sep 18, 2015, 12:16:07 AM9/18/15
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
It's a bit short notice but I may have some free time this Saturday morning/afternoon if anyone is interested in meeting up then. I have some materials I could bring so we could actually put stuff together and a few schematics already assembled which we could work to design boards for (or we could do something from scratch).

Steve Altemeier

Sep 18, 2015, 6:32:32 AM9/18/15
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Wish I could make it - family in town.  Thanks!

Zak Smolen

Sep 19, 2015, 9:30:00 AM9/19/15
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
If anyone is interested in this I'll head over to the space around 11 today and should be there for a few hours.

mister black

Sep 19, 2015, 12:38:03 PM9/19/15
to Asheville Makers
This sounds like a lot of fun, shame I cannot make it today though. If we reschedule I have 2 soldering irons I can bring.

Nicholas Rake

Oct 13, 2015, 4:00:24 PM10/13/15
to Asheville Makers
I'd like to learn a bit about this next time we can work out time, Zak.

Zak Smolen

Oct 13, 2015, 4:15:26 PM10/13/15
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Sure thing. Once we get the new space sorted out we can figure out a time to hold a class like this.