Don't put coffee into the 3D printer

Robert Schultz

Jun 17, 2016, 12:10:40 AM6/17/16
to Asheville Makers
TLDR: It clogs the extruder!

Longer version:
So earlier today I attempted to print a cube on the Lulzbot with "Aromatic Coffee PLA" filament. It smelled nothing like coffee, more like burnt grossness.

Anyways, later in the afternoon I was attempting to print with another filament and it jammed. It was a coffee clog. The extruder was totally blocked, big time. This was around 6PM. The clog was bad and nothing easy worked, so I knew I would have to take apart the whole extruder tool head assembly to get at it. I had just enough time to swap out with the Flexy extruder so something could be printing during the open house.

After the open house I took the clogged extruder

Robert Schultz

Jun 17, 2016, 12:14:24 AM6/17/16
to Asheville Makers
Oops accidentally hit post. Took the extruder home and disassembled it all, used a hot air gun too warm it up enough that I could get some of the coffee gunk out with some various tools. Took it back to the maker space and ran through some cleaning filament and now I'm testing a box in HIPS and things seem to be working ok.

Nicholas Rake

Jun 17, 2016, 10:34:27 AM6/17/16
to Asheville Makers
Woohoo! Glad to hear it seems to be doing alright now.