Intro to Arduino Class

Steve Altemeier

May 28, 2018, 11:14:58 AM5/28/18
to Asheville Makers
We are planning to have an Intro to Arduino Class at the Makerspace on Saturday June 16 from 3 - 5 in the afternoon (and we may run over a little if we need to).  Several people have expressed a desire that it be a project based class where we use the arduino to sense something and then respond by doing something.  So, the plan is to do a simple project where we use a photoresistor in a voltage divider to sense the level of light.  If the detected light level falls below a given threshold, the arduino will turn on an LED.  We will also use the Serial monitor to write output to our screens since this is a critical part of debugging.  If time permits, we may at least discuss a little bit about how we might "do something" that requires more current than can be delivered by an arduino output pin.

Materials needed for the class will be:
A laptop with a working version of the Arduino IDE installed on it
An arduino or compatible clone and USB cable
Breadboard
LED
A resistor around 200 - 300 ohms to limit current on the LED
A photo resistor (10k ohm)
A second resistor (10k would be good, but anything over 1k is probably fine) to make a voltage divider with the photoresistor
A few jumper wires to hook things up

If you don't have all or any of these, just let us know what you need when you register for the class, and we can probably round it up before the class for a small fee (except for the laptop with the arduino IDE - that you need to have).

Here is a link on installing the IDE and testing it with your arduino or clone to make sure they are working together before the class.  It doesn't specifically cover Windows 10, but the process is basically the same.  If you have trouble installing and testing the IDE, please let us know BEFORE the class so we can work with you to get it set up prior to the class.  We will not have time to install the IDE during the class.

There will be no charge for this class, but please don't register unless you intend to come.  And if your plans change, please let us know asap so we can plan appropriately.

No prior experience or knowledge is necessary.

Please feel free to respond to this post with any questions.

Thanks!

Steve Altemeier

Jun 14, 2018, 1:49:09 PM6/14/18
to Asheville Makers
Just a final reminder that the intro to arduino class is this Saturday.  We still have a couple of spots open, so if you are interested, let me know.  In terms of supplies for the class, you will definitely need your own laptop with the IDE installed (can download for free here), but we might be able to rustle up the remaining things needed for the class if you give us a heads up.  Thanks!