Status of RAMPS 3D Printer

Steve Altemeier

Jul 17, 2017, 4:34:55 PM7/17/17
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
So, this printer is just about ready to use, I think.  I am pretty consistently getting good test prints from it now (there are a few sampLe cubes on top of the printer).

Some key remaining steps are:

a) Make sure all wire connections are secure, wires are organized and secured, etc.  Basically, just cleaning up so that it looks better, wires don't get caught and come undone, and if a wire does come undone, we can easily figure out where it goes.

b) Computer to control it.  I have been using Repetier on my personal laptop to control it, but the spare group laptop we have in the space does not have good enough graphics capabilities to run Repetier.  If anyone has a spare computer (laptop or desktop) they want to donate to the cause, let us know!  I may also try to see if any of the old linux desktops we have will work.

c) Fine tuning settings.

If anyone is interested in helping out on these things, please let me know.  And if there are more experienced users want to start using it to help fine tune some of the settings, we can make that happen.

Thanks!

Stephen Carter

Jul 17, 2017, 5:34:43 PM7/17/17
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
What are the computer requirements? I likely have a spare laptop about, possibly a desktop as well I could contribute.

Steve

Stephen N. Carter
Asheville, NC 28803
KJ6PZB

Steve Altemeier

Jul 17, 2017, 5:43:12 PM7/17/17
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Not much, just not an ancient graphics card, I think.  If you bring them to the meeting tomorrow, we can give them a try. Thanks!

Stephen Carter

Jul 17, 2017, 5:49:06 PM7/17/17
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
I'll install the repetier software and see what happens.

Any reason not to use Linux?

Carter

Stephen N. Carter
Asheville, NC 28803
KJ6PZB

Steve Altemeier

Jul 17, 2017, 5:50:29 PM7/17/17
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
No, I think Linux should be fine.

Avi Silverman

Jul 17, 2017, 10:56:33 PM7/17/17
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
What if we install octo-print onto a RasPi? Then it can just be inside the case and people can remotely connect to it over the network to setup print jobs. It looks pretty simple, and all the info is here: https://octopi.octoprint.org/

In theory, we could also mount one of the LCD monitors we have laying around into the side of the printer case, if we want a local display.

I'm happy to donate my B+ to the cause (I never really use it anyway), or we could try it with a Zero.