Maker Educator job wanted in Asheville area

Problem-based Science

Dec 23, 2016, 8:47:06 AM12/23/16
to Asheville Makers
Dear Asheville Makers!

I have fallen in love with WNC and I am looking to relocate to the area this summer. If you hear of any schools or programs hiring makerspace managers, or STEM/Maker teachers in the coming weeks, please reach out to me. I have attached my Linkedin page to share if you know of anyone looking to hire.

Christa Flores

Tim Swihart, Sr.

Dec 23, 2016, 4:17:13 PM12/23/16
to Asheville Makers
Might be worth checking to see if UNCA is hiring anybody to staff their upcoming makerspace...here's an announcement from earlier this year to partially explain it.  Last I heard, it wasn't quite open yet but I haven't followed all that closely.  I've been semi-watching it to see if it's open to just students/staff or if there's a public membership option...

Problem-based Science

Dec 24, 2016, 11:19:28 AM12/24/16
to Asheville Makers
Yes, I met Sara she is doing amazing work. I want to develop some K-12 outreach work in that beautiful space, and see all higher ed as the leveraging point for this work. That job still needs to be invented I believe.

Thanks!

Avi Silverman

Dec 24, 2016, 11:41:38 AM12/24/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
I was going to suggest reaching out to Tom Heck (Tom, are you still on this mailing list?) for suggestions.

I'd love to chat about makerspace educational programing, but that's not a job persay (at least not yet).

Avi

Problem-based Science

Dec 25, 2016, 7:14:23 AM12/25/16
to Asheville Makers
Thanks Avi, I will reach out to Tom Heck I believe I follow him on Twitter. If you are interested in maker education, let's talk! Since discovering the maker movement, I have found that if the job doesn't exist you have to "make" it sometimes.

My email is sciteach212 @ gmail.com

Christa

Tom Heck

Dec 25, 2016, 12:58:29 PM12/25/16
to Asheville Makers
Hi Christa -

Glad to learn you've fallen in love with Asheville. There is a lot to love including Asheville Makers!

As for makerspaces in the schools...

Asheville City and Buncombe County operate as two separate school systems. For the past two years both school systems have been exploring makerspaces.

Here's the contact info for the person who leads efforts in the county school system:

Christy Cheek
Career Technical Education (CTE) Director
Buncombe County Schools

The person at the city is:

Matt Whiteside, M.A. Ed., CeCTO
Director of Instructional Technology and Media Services
Asheville City Schools

These were the contacts from one year ago.

You might also contact Betsie Stockslager (bstock...@ashevillescience.org) who is the new Director of Education at the new "Asheville Museum of Science". Betsie has been working with us (Asheville Makers) to find more ways to include Making at AMoS. Betsie used to work for the city school system and might have some contacts for you.

I know the CEO at Eliada Homes (http://www.eliada.org/) if you'd like an introduction there. The CEO is an awesome guy who is transforming that facility. He wants more Making happening there. I led a Makey Makey Invention Literacy workshop for his education staff and they loved it. I can connect you two if you're interested.

Feel free to contact me outside of this group.

Tom Heck

Problem-based Science

Dec 26, 2016, 7:40:29 AM12/26/16
to Asheville Makers
I will be in Asheville this week as it turns out. If you Avi are around Thursday 10-12 we can meet for coffee and chat about maker programs.

Avi Silverman

Dec 26, 2016, 4:12:10 PM12/26/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, I am out of town until new years. Not sure when during the summer you are planning on moving, but a couple of us have been discussing the possibility of running some youth based programs this summer (maybe summer camp?). If you're interested in being involved (in this, or potential educational maker programs in general) let's keep in touch.

Avi

Problem-based Science

Dec 27, 2016, 9:08:48 AM12/27/16
to Asheville Makers
I will be running a few workshops out of the High Museum for teachers June 6-8 Here is the link to the Educator Conference page: https://www.woodruffcenter.org/Center-Initiatives/Educator-Conference but Im free most of July and Aug. I would love to help plan and facilitate if we can align our dates. What is your email and we can take this offline.

Avi

ChaBuku Alex Bakke

Dec 27, 2016, 10:08:01 AM12/27/16
to Asheville Makers
Pretty sure the UNCA STEAM RAMP Space had their ribbon cutting this month and it's now operational. Haven't seen any information about what the openness of it is (public/students). I have a friend who is in charge of parts of the program I can reach out to him to find out the status of it.

ChaBuku Alex Bakke

Dec 27, 2016, 11:41:50 AM12/27/16
to Asheville Makers
They finally have a website up for the STEAM studio here: https://steamstudio.unca.edu/

Not a ton of information yet, it seems to be a work in progress.

Tim Swihart, Sr.

Dec 27, 2016, 9:35:02 PM12/27/16
to Asheville Makers
Found this after following your link...it's the final paragraph at:  https://steamstudio.unca.edu/community-impact

"STEAM is primarily designed to support our students. Alumni, staff and faculty, who, like students, have had extensive safety training and are open to collaboration will be welcomed on an invitation basis. We do envision partnerships with local makers to facilitate training and collaboration, but the space will not be a public makerspace."

Problem-based Science

Jan 1, 2017, 4:17:19 PM1/1/17
to Asheville Makers
Thanks again all. I have a lots of new connections to make thanks you your posts. I also met with the team at the STEAM studio on Thursday and agreed outreach was 1-2 year plan to work on. Im looking forward to seeing what plays out.

Paul B. Hartzog

Jan 2, 2017, 10:28:05 AM1/2/17
to Asheville Makers
Delighted to hear it.

Would be great to connect to you by email, Facebook, etc.
I am a Futurist currently located in Asheville and working
on several local initiatives.

http://engage.paulbhartzog.org/future/

much thx
-Paul