3D printer Extruder head screw and z-index issues

Robert Schultz

Jul 5, 2016, 9:09:14 PM7/5/16
to Asheville Makers
We had some issues with the 3D printer tonight. The left z-index screw stopped working (jammed or something) and so it failed to move the EXTRUDER up or down. I had to leave early tonight but when I left Avi was looking into it. FYI, The little screw that holds the extruder is in the little clear plastic bin behind the laptop.

Avi Silverman

Jul 5, 2016, 9:33:51 PM7/5/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
So, it seems like the issue was just that the left z-axis rod was out of alignment. I readjusted it and now it seem to be working okay (ran it all the way to the top and bottom and it's working fine). One thing to note, I unscrewed the gantry mount on the left side as well and when I tried tightening it back down hard I ran into the same grinding non-movement issue again, so I left it loosely tightened (should be fine, but someone may want to check and make sure the screws aren't working themselves loose after a few prints). It was still making a bit of a resonance sound, so I just manually adjusted it another 1/32 of a turn or so and it went away. Not sure how it got off so much (maybe someone just manually turned the rod a couple times?), but in the future if this happens, you just need to figure out which way it needs to go and physically turn the rod until you can use Cura to send it a raise / lower command and it goes easily with no grinding or resonating. Easy peasy (didn't actually even need to take the gantry connector apart). Should all be working again. Not sure if this was the cause of the flying spaghetti monster or not, but it doesn't seem impossible.

Avi

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 9:09 PM, Robert Schultz <rob...@cosmicrealms.com> wrote:
We had some issues with the 3D printer tonight. The left z-index screw stopped working (jammed or something) and so it failed to move the EXTRUDER up or down. I had to leave early tonight but when I left Avi was looking into it. FYI, The little screw that holds the extruder is in the little clear plastic bin behind the laptop.

Robert Schultz

Jul 7, 2016, 2:39:17 PM7/7/16
to Asheville Makers
I was able to print a cube this morning, with no issues. But after it finished when it tried to go up, the grinding noise was back and the z-index was stuck.

Turns out this is a common issue with the early Taz 6 shipments:

Both reference this service bulletin:

So this morning I went through the squaring process and did indeed see a slight mis-alignment which I corrected. However at one point it has you measuring diagonally and it should be square, but ours is half an inch off. I'm going to e-mail support about this to make sure I'm measuring correctly.

Afterwards I still encountered the z-index grind, but I loosened the left clamp thing and then I was able to move the z-index up all the way and down all the way with no issues. It feels a bit odd that I should have to loosen that left clamp at all, my guess is it's still not square. I'll see what support says but 3D printer maintenance isn't really "my bag" so if anyone else is feeling ambitious and based on the service bulletin knows what might need to be done, feel free :)

Robert Schultz

Jul 7, 2016, 3:22:02 PM7/7/16
to Asheville Makers
So I heard back from LulzBot support (under 30 minutes!) and they recommended the following:

Please don't worry about the rails being flush, please just make the measurements the same in the X pattern and then tighten the frame. Please do the measurements from the inside of the top rail to the inside of the bottom rail.(top left to bottom right and vice versa)

Once you have done this please measure from the metal plate under the heat bed to the bottom of the X carriage guide rails. If either side you measure is higher then the other disable your stepper motors from the LCD display. Then adjust the side that is higher to be equal to the other side. You can do this by turning the silver coupler that attaches the motor to the threaded rod. There is also 2 screws on the Z carriage idler and the Z carriage motor, that will need adjustment. Please follow the guide rails that the tool head is mounted on, to the assemblies that hold them. You will find 2 Allen head screws that hold the assemblies to the threaded rods. Please loosen these 2 Allen head screws on the left and the right. After this you will need to Auto home the printer. Then move the Z axis to close to the top of the printer using CURA (245mm from home). Then re-home the printer again. Please do this 2 times bottom to top and back. Then please move the Z axis to the middle of the printer. Once you have the X carriage in the middle of the printer, re-tighten the 4 Allen head screws connected to the Z nut mounts on each side.

Please do not over tighten the Allen head screws. Once this is completed, please run another print and see if the Z binding is decreased.

This should take care of all of the issues.

This sounds... tricky. As a programmer, I'm not too handy, so I'm not sure exactly when I'll be able to get around to do this, it may be a quite a while. So anyone else who is up for going through this process and correcting the issues, please feel free :)

Ian Baillie

Jul 10, 2016, 2:42:36 PM7/10/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
So, I suppose the fact that the printer is not in use, for the first time ever, means that no one has attempted the suggested squaring process yet?

                     Ian

Jul 10, 2016, 4:05:29 PM7/10/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Okay. I was just wondering. I stopped by for a few and saw that it was idle. That's the first time I've seen it idle since it arrived. Unfortunately, I didn't have time this afternoon to stick around and mess with it. I did fix a couple things on the Cube, however. It was so cold in there, that the filament seemed to be cooling before it even hit the bed, which was cold as ice. I had to raise the base layer temp to get any adhesion, and ran out of time to monkey with it and get it printing well. If no one has undertaken it, I may have time one night this week to mess with the Taz and see if I can get it going. I do have a few prints I'd like to work on with it. Not sure what night yet, though. If I do stop back by, I am going to try and block off a couple of the A/C vents, as I have had weird issues printing with the Cube in the past when it was really cold.

              Ian

Jul 10, 2016, 5:43:57 PM7/10/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I was feeling them earlier. My plan is to pull down the vent cover and block it from the top. That should help the front get more air, and wont look like ass on our side. What the system really needs is a professional HVAC person to balance the outputs. But that may be more than the arts council wants to put into it.

Also, I am looking at some tool storage options for us. The cardboard boxes are killing me. If I get something, it will be on loan to the space until a later date, when it will become donated, or the space buys something better.

      Ian

Jul 11, 2016, 9:50:35 AM7/11/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com

As per tool storage, I had been experimenting with printing some tool holders. I was thinking of making a bunch of wall mounts for the various hand tools.

RFID box never had a screw I think (it does fa off all the time. The hope was that someone would design an enclosure for it (including space for some LEDs and a speaker) to print. Again, something I was thinking of doing but didn't have time to do before I left town.

Avi

Ian Baillie

Jul 11, 2016, 3:09:41 PM7/11/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
I was looking at some rolling tool carts, and small rolling tool boxes. Perhaps if we wanted to make something to go on the wall, a person could design something to cut on the cnc for that. Another option is to pegboard behind one of the benches and affix toll hangers to it. Just my .02, bit as a person that works with tools all day, I hate little more than rummaging through a box for a tool.

Jul 11, 2016, 3:23:21 PM7/11/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com

Not opposed to pegboard (or someone creating something else) but it's definitely more expensive than printing a few different types of wall mounts... and no one else was doing it, so I started. :)

Stephen Carter

Jul 11, 2016, 3:47:11 PM7/11/16
to ashevil...@googlegroups.com
I've been looking at different pegboard systems--I really like the metal ones:

And there are varieties, of course:

but I've seen the kind with slots, like from the Amazon listing above, and it solves some of the annoyances of regular pegboard, particularly with the fittings coming off with the tools sometimes. The various bins especially could be made as needed with the 3d printer.

Then again, the regular stuff from Home Depot or Sears is pretty cheap and, well, we all know how it works!

Carter

Stephen N. Carter
Asheville, NC 28803