One-On-One Coding Lessons for Kids?

Ryan Barrington Cox

Jul 21, 2015, 10:29:49 AM7/21/15
to ashevill...@googlegroups.com
Does anybody out there do one-on-one coding lessons geared towards kids?  Or know of someone local who does?

I have a friend in town with a 12 year old son.  The kid wants to learn coding, but not from his father (who happens to be a coder himself).

Let me know if you have any leads and thanks in advance!
Ryan

Glen Peterson

Jul 21, 2015, 11:04:25 AM7/21/15
to ashevill...@googlegroups.com
I once tutored an individual child in programming for money. I put a
lot of effort into planning each lesson to build on their questions
from the previous week while broadening their understanding of
programming in general. But the amount of planning wasn't worth the
amount of money and he was very focused on overcoming specific hurdles
on a project, and much less interested in becoming a better coder in
general. We both got something out of it, but it fizzled in less than
6 months.

I'd invite this 12-year-old to show up at our social meetings with a
laptop and someone would probably be willing to help them with a
couple questions or a short code review every week. In Greer
Programmers Group I spend most meetings mentoring and I enjoy it and
the people I help the most have become the most loyal members so it
works out.

If it becomes obvious that they could benefit from additional
attention, either remedial, or extra-challenging then it makes a lot
of sense to pay for professional tutoring. Having helped with several
problems, we'll know what kind of tutor they need, and they will
probably have found the appropriate person to teach them. A parent or
guardian can come to the meetings too. His programmer-father could
sit at the opposite end of the table to chaperone without being
directly involved.
> --

Glen K. Peterson
(828) 393-0081

lanc...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2015, 2:32:15 PM7/21/15
to ashevill...@googlegroups.com, ashevill...@googlegroups.com
One of my kids did a youth code camp at Tech Talent South and really enjoyed it. It was a week long and they learned the basics of MVC using Rails. Not comp-sci material, but something that was tangible, which I think is super important for kids.

They don’t have any lined up for Asheville any time soon it seems, but it looks like they are doing a “Free Youth Code Mondays” at some point in the soon-ish future: http://techtalentsouth.com/youth-code-camps.html

Lance

Lance Ball

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 10:29 AM, Ryan Barrington Cox <ryanbar...@gmail.com> wrote:

Alan Byrd

Jul 21, 2015, 11:43:53 PM7/21/15
to Asheville Coders League
Keep him away from old dudes in trenchcoats teaching COBOL.  That many reserved words are bad for a kid's development. ;)

<attached dummy file to get around some UI problem>

stoopidUI.txt

Erika Eill

Jul 22, 2015, 9:36:14 PM7/22/15
to Asheville Coders League, ryanbar...@gmail.com
My son is 9 and learning Scratch at AICL camp, and he LOVES it! Do you think that's something the boy would be interested in, or is it not "programmey" enough?

If he's looking for something using actual code, Code Academy is GREAT and FREE and he can do it on his own. I have used CA to ramp up on languages I needed to learn for work.

Ryan Barrington Cox

Jul 23, 2015, 8:44:39 AM7/23/15
to ashevill...@googlegroups.com
Great thread, guys, thanks!

nathan

Jul 23, 2015, 9:34:57 AM7/23/15
to Asheville Coders League, abyrd...@gmail.com
You joke, but considering what the job listings look like around me, COBOL is a highly-valued skill.