To Code Monkey, or not to Code Monkey, that is the question....

Richard Sylvester

Mar 11, 2016, 7:04:30 AM3/11/16
to Asheville Coders League
Hey guys,

So we are trying to put a spin on our mobile ad exchange platform we are building.  Right now we state "Made by Developers for Developers"....sounds ok but we are looking to "quirk" things up a bit and make things a little more fun and bold.

With this in mind one of the ideas going around is the use of the word "Code Monkey".  Looking for thoughts on the idea of saying something like "Made by Code Monkeys for Code Monkeys" etc...

Being a fellow developer, do you find this word demeaning or too unprofessional?   Just looking for everyones feedback and thoughts.  Thanks!

-Richard
AdAbouts

Mark Locklear

Mar 11, 2016, 8:58:06 AM3/11/16
to ashevill...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't say I am offended by it, and would not call it unprofessional. "Made by Developers for Developers" probably gets the message across fine without being hokey which the other phase might be.

Other ideas might be...

"For hackers, by hackers"
"For webdevs, by webdevs"
"For geeks, by geeks"

J. Mark Locklear
locklear.me
-Philippians 4:13

When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty, but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong. -Buckminster Fuller

Havoc Pennington

Mar 11, 2016, 9:05:10 AM3/11/16
to Asheville Coders
To me 'code monkey' implies someone who doesn't have the respect of whoever they work for, so people in certain jobs / with certain worldviews might see themselves as such (in a dark humor kind of way), but other developers wouldn't. Is your product for people who are trying to make something work quickly according to the whims of clients or managers they don't respect, or is your product for independent developers who proudly own their own apps, etc. Which words speak to the customer depends on the customer you have in mind. The best argument for 'code monkey' would be that you'd observed the customers you have in mind in the wild, and they are using that word to refer to themselves. The idea is that the customer you want should recognize themselves in your sales copy, and the customer you don't want shouldn't recognize themselves.

Havoc

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 7:04 AM, Richard Sylvester <richard.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

Phillip Miller

Mar 11, 2016, 1:26:36 PM3/11/16
to ashevill...@googlegroups.com
I generally use code monkey as a derogatory descriptor when referencing an undesirable job position which lacks much or any humanism. I'd vote for devs, hackers, or coders.