Modern E-Commerce Solutions

Glen Peterson

Dec 22, 2015, 8:55:08 PM12/22/15
to Asheville Coders League
I'm helping a company with an ailing e-commerce web site.  The current solution seems to store maybe 100 products with 50 attributes each.  They have 20,000 customer records that I could find.  That all works fine, but
it's ancient, doesn't validate credit cards, and when humans collect the orders and validate card numbers at end of day they lose potential sales due to typos in about 1/3 of the credit card details.

The admin console uses Website Admin by OnRamp Solutions.  I presume it's a .NET plug-in, but I'm more of a Java/Linux guy.  I couldn't find details about it on the web in a few seconds.  The consultant that set it up currently charges around $130/month for hosting (domain resolves to an AWS server) and to keep it running.  We pay separetely for a TLS (SSL) certificate.

What are people using for e-commerce these days?  Do you download a WordPress plug-in, or do you set things up on a third-party site that has all these tools secure and up-to-date and you just add your window dressing?  We have neither the interest, nor the resources necessary to code our own e-commerce app.  I don't even want to have to apply updates if I don't have to, so I'm leaning strongly toward some kind of service.

I found a site that listed the following suggestions:

 - Ability Commerce from Amazon
 - Big Commerce from eBay
 - Intuit Ecommerce
 - Shopify
 - Vendio

Thoughts?

Mark Locklear

Dec 23, 2015, 6:13:10 AM12/23/15
to ashevill...@googlegroups.com
Have not used it personally , but hear good things about magento.

J. Mark Locklear
locklear.me
-Philippians 4:13

When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty, but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong. -Buckminster Fuller

Daniel

Dec 23, 2015, 5:31:42 PM12/23/15
to ashevill...@googlegroups.com
I've recently spent some time researching e-commerce solutions for a smaller company in SC. They don't deal with the volume or traffic that you described. Although, I'm definitely interested to hear your solution.

I went through Presto, Magento - installed both to test drive a bit... According to the overall reviews Magento seems to come out ahead of Presto, and my personal experience would concur. Magento may be worth checking out for your use case, their paid plans seems to be tailored for higher traffic stores. In the end I settled with woocommerce as a wordpress plugin... for this client's particular needs it will work best.

HTH and Happy Holidays ya'll...

Bruce Hauman

Dec 23, 2015, 5:41:13 PM12/23/15
to ashevill...@googlegroups.com
Third party all the way. A large team of programmers constantly improving code and squashing bugs for very little $$$. No upgrades, etc.

Shopify can handle stuff like this with extremely flexible integrations.  SquareSpace is getting in the game as well.

Jim Holloman

Dec 24, 2015, 11:38:11 AM12/24/15
to Asheville Coders League
I have not used it personally, but what I have seen of Woo Commerce for Word Press looks good. Some people say that Woo Commerce is reason enough to use WordPress.

I know of one developer/company in Greenville, SC that uses it. He is a member of the Greenville WordPress meetup group. They sell memory foam pillows.

The only negative thing that I have heard about Magento is that it is a monster (apparently in reference to size). The most positive thing I have heard about Magento is that it is perhaps the best solution for high volume E-Commerce.

Jim Holloman
Hendersonville, NC

Will Chatham

Dec 24, 2015, 12:21:03 PM12/24/15
to ashevill...@googlegroups.com
Most of my experience is with WooCommerce and Shopify. I prefer WooCommerce/WordPress for the agility, features, and ease of updates. Managing it seems to be rather easy for clients or the less internet savvy, though that's true of Shopify as well. With Woo you also can do a lot better SEO because it's centered around WP.

www.WillChatham.com